1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Price to mow 1+ feet of thick green?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassgirl4, Sep 5, 2007.

1. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

How much would you charge for the following job? Note: I've already done the initial 'knockdown' of this property (2 cuts)...there is still a lot of grass that requires further cuts to chop up and disperse clippings.

I anticipate I will be commissioned to go back and 'pretty-up' the property this week (currently, this is not a regular job...but could turn into one).

The particulars:
    * a little under an acre with a 9,000 sq ft storage warehouse
    * pretty much flat land
    * minimal trimming (once it's back under control, that is!!)
    * 60" 27hp Exmark ztr to do job

The situation:
    * 14+ inches of rain in August
    * property neglected for a good month, translating to 1+ feet of thick green grass (much of it laid over, of course)
    * took 2 hours to do the 2 cuts and blow off the property

My per-man-hour rate is $40. Based on time the price of the job would be $80. However, should I be charging more based on the conditions?

How much would you charge? Would you charge more because it was an 'on-the-fly', last-minute thing and not a regular weekly job on your schedule? Would you charge more because the property had been neglected so long and was out of control? Would you charge more for above-average wear-and-tear on your mower? Would you charge more for other factors I haven't thought of? What would you charge?

P.S. As mentioned, I've already done the initial job...but I need to give the guy a price/bill!! :clapping:
  2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

3. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

absolutely charge more..more for wear and tear...more for being a foot tall..i'm with in2mowin...minimum $150..but more like 200.
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

$80 is WAY too low...If its gonna take you 2 hours then I agree with IN2MOWN... charge around $200. Not just because its last minute thing, but also because of the wear and tear on the equipment. Another way I look at jobs like that...how many $30 or $40 yards could I mow in the same amount of time. You just want to be sure to make it worth your while.
  5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

$150 to $200 sounds fair. It will use more gas, take longer and put alot of stress on the belts and blade clutch.
  6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

what ever your per cut price is tell them it is that price times the number of times it takes to cut
  7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

................ Plus, a PIA factor of about 50%.
  8. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I buck the trend by charging by the hour on one-time type of deals like this, but I charge $60 per hour. I think you'd have a hard time getting $200 for mowing one acre, no matter how overgrown, in this market.

We actually mowed one just today, which I had mowed a month ago (long story), and hadn't been mowed since. Over 2 acres, a bunch of 18+ inch crabgrass, and a crapload of trimming. Charged $150, probably should have been a bit more, but I've got the regular job of mowing the property now.

You might, however, consider upping your hourly rate somewhat. I try to shoot for $50 on regular mowing, but have some that don't make it, most of which I started mowing 3 years ago, when I had a tendency to bid lower. Would like to get $60, and do on a few smaller properties, but most of mine are 1 acre up, and I find it hard to make that kind of hourly rate. I figure it costs me $12 per hour to operate a Z, plus all the associated costs of running a business. Good luck.
  9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

no, dont do this, your still cutting yourself short. the $200 figure is looking more accurate. $40/hr per man is on the low side for weeding around here. now your adding equipment into the equation, your underpriced. by myself i can get 3-4 $40 lawns done in an hour, thats how i gauge things.
  10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

ok he only has to weed whack once so for say 3 to 4 extra cuts on that he is just riding