Price to Spread Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by STIHL GUY, Mar 17, 2009.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I am about to give a quote to edge beds toss down some weed killer and spread 9 yards of mulch. Should i charge by the hour or by the yard to spread the mulch? If im charging by the Yard what would be a good ballpark price to spread it per yard??
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

enough to cover your time spent on the job and then some. Wish I could provide more info but have no idea where your spreading, how your spreading, etc.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

thank you for the advise. I am working in Connecticut and will be spreading with a wheelbarrow and rake. i hope that information helps a bit
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I charge anywhere from 80 to 120 a yard depending on how much labor and prep work is involved.

That is using good quality hardwood mulch that I get for 35 dollars a yard.
  5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

In our area, it is cheaper to buy mulch in bulk. Then you have to drive and purchase the material. How far do you have to drive? Figure that cost! Figure in your delivery fee!
    Estimate mow much time to spread the mulch! Since we don't know how far you have to haul or carry the mulch by wheelbarrow, it is assumptuous to tell!
    Figure you bed edging by the linear foot. Figure your chems by the square foot, 100 sqft or 1000's. The label will demand it!
    I don't know the measurements---lengths of anythings, so this is up to your hourly rate and all other expenses figured into the day it will take you to do this job.
    Don't forget the tax's if they apply to your state..........on the products!
  6. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I charge about $40 a yard to spread (doesn't include price of mulch). If there are areas really hard to get to, i charge extra. Price doesn't include cleanup, edging, or anything else.
  7. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

just for S n Gs, cleanup, delivery, re-edge, lay mulch $100 a yard. $900 for 9 yards.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

For mulch I generally charge $70 a yard installed. This included buying the mulch, edging the beds, and installing it.
  9. Jersey Shore Landscaping

Jersey Shore Landscaping LawnSite Member

we charge 70 a yard and .80 a foot to recut the beds
  10. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

$40/hour to lay it down...if customer buys the mulch. If customer wants me to bring the mulch, it's the going rate of whatever the mulch is going for, plus a flat $30 delivery fee within a reasonable radius. Then $40/hour to spread it. Any other services (edging, etc., are extra$$)
    Everyone's method differs a little what makes you happy and makes you $$.