Price too high??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DoetschOutdoor, Sep 11, 2006.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Today, I had to shovel and smooth dirt on a lady's front yard. The city did some kind of install last year and had left a small pile and about 15 feet of dirt that never settled even close to what they thought it would. I had to shovel the pile and unsettled dirt and then smoothed it out with a rake. The lawn will be powerseeded and fert. this weekend. The job only took me 1 hour and I was by myself but I felt that $100 was what the job was "worth". Do you think this is too much money for 1 hour work or is it okay to judge by what I feel the job is worth realizing how good her lawn will look in a few months thanks to me? My only expense was my time because I otherwise would have been sitting at school all afternoon.

2. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I think that is reasonable. That would be my minimum for something like that. You need to charge what you need to charge to make the job worthwhile. If they don't like it they can get they own bad self out there and do it.payup

3. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't pay someone $100/hr to shovel and rake some dirt. IMO, that is the definition of overcharging. However, others wouldn't bat an eye to pay that.

4. americanlawnartists

americanlawnartists LawnSite Member

I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's fair. After all you have to think about your travel to and from, the fact that you had tools for the job, and of course your obvious labor. You did good.

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

well unless you walked or rode your bike time was the only expense you had........ you may not have had any direct expenses, but what about all those lil in-direct expenses. vehicle payment, vehicle maintenance, gas, insurance both for thre vehicle and gen liab. , workers comp, tools that you used, they got to be reaplced someday, tool expanse, how many gatoraides, waters, cokes did you have while there, refreshment expense. etc etc the list goes on and on ... depending on your operating expense it could have easily cost you more than $100 per hour to go over there to do the work and you never realized it..... how much time did you put into writting an estimate b4 you even bagan to work? how about all the expenses to drive over there to write and estimate? now with all these things in mind, pen paper calculator how much did you REALLY make an hour... re figure.... then figure in taxes as well.

6. DoetschOutdoor

from S. IL

Ok...vehicle/biz insurance was payed up at the beg. of the season so I do not have to worry about that right now. I drank 1 soda that I snagged from my refrigerator before I headed to the house. I was in a customer's shop setting up aerating last spring and I set this customer up with aerating in the spring and then after the work was done this summer, leveling and powerseeding in the fall. I gave her an estimate for everything when I was at her house the first time so no time was lost writing up or delivering an estimate to her. I probably used less than $10 in gas to get from school to home to her house and back but that would be my only expense. I didnt mean to get involved with revenue minus expenses should be what I'm charging here but I just thought the job I did was worth about $100 for the labor.

7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well i don't know about you guys but i think i have to give around 30% in taxes these days so if you take that right off the top you are down to 70. then the 10 in gas. a few dollars for wear and tear on you tools and truck. so you probablly put 50 in you pocket by the time you get to the end of the year . i think that is fine for an hours work.

i always price my self out at 50 an hour when bidding. so you got paid and got every thing else covered

8. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

tell her youd normally charge 100$ and tell her youre going to knock a couple bucks off and charge 85 or something like that. then she will feel like shes getting a deal.

9. DoetschOutdoor

from S. IL

Yea, I think I am going to give her a small break when I powerseed her yard this weekend but I know for a fact that any other local company would have charged at least as much as I did for the evening and would probably be alot more than me on the powerseeding.

10. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

give her a break in the price now and she might be loyal to your services for years to come. ya never know.