Price vs. quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jul 23, 2007.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I don't get it but most people in my area are concerned with who cuts the cheapest. Thank God I have over 30 good accounts but the ones that I've been dealing with recently are something else. They want me to do their lawn, so I go over, give an estimate, and they say the other guy will do it for five bucks less. Hmmm. What would you rather? Mr. fly by night (I'm not talking professional cutters here) who does a half butt job and is not dependable, or someone like me who does a superior job and is there when you want me. All for a FIVE dollar difference? And most of them don't care what I say they will still take the other guy over me. But again I don't care so much because I have enough doing over 30 good accounts right now. What's your take on this? Price vs. quality??

2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The price is the price. Take it or leave it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are too many good customers that appreciate quality service and are not going to fret over price. I dont even get into it with them...

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of people view lawn mowing as a commodity...it's the same service in their eyes no matter who does it. A lot of the time these people are also just bluffing you...they have that hypothetical "Mr. $5 Less Guy" but it's just a negotiating strategy.

I keep a record of all calls/estimates. Call 'em up in a month, you'll be surprised...you'll get a few to sign with you.

4. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

So this weekend i get a call from a guy who just needs a one time mowing...his mower broke down and he has not had time to get it fixed. I get there look at the 7 inch tall grass, tell him 40 for just the mow. He has a weedeater and said he would trim and edge (although i guess it was broken as it appeared that had not been done this year lol. So i tell him 40 to just mow and he says "well i got a guy who said he would do it for 25". I said, well i am here, i am now, and that guy you have to track down and hope to get him here. He pauses, realizes i am right or his bluff didnt take and hands me 40 bucks.....20 minutes later i am loaded back up and headed out.

One thing i am learning is that this is a part time job for me and i have had way more business than i would ever have expected.....apparently the fly by nighters are dropping like flies or cant keep up with their load right now. So i have picked up a few new accounts, tell them my price and take it or leave it....most as i have kindly pointed to the nice yard across the street from them that i take care of lol. If you can keep your price and not have to worry too much about new accounts, do it. If they are good customers, they will pay for quality and most importantly, reliability. Around here, that is what sells for me.

5. jwl5510

jwl5510 LawnSite Member

never lower rate only charge more each year for increase in gas , taxes,and insurance good coustmers will pay and not even take a cheaper person.

6. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

If you do good work, people will pay you your price. I made a good living charging $35 minimum (under 1000') and only if they were walking distance from the trailer. The average 10,000' lawn was 60- 90. I had people putting flyers and telling my customers they would do it for $22...$24.50(lol)...all day long. I cut 42 SMALL porperties and made the same profit per week as a guy I knew that cut almost 200.

7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Yes some do have that imaginary "cheaper" guy. One guy I was doing for 25 I told him I'm going up to 30 this year because his lawn is big and I'm professional now. He said the last guy would do it 25, I said get the other guy but my price is 30. He said go ahead and do it, I've been mowing it since at 30.

8. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

Imo, you get what you pay for in a company. I think that i charge a fair price for the services that i render.