Price$$$

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by haney, Jun 22, 2006.

1. haney

haney LawnSite Member

Can anyone help me with my prices( for jobs ie. mowing, trimming, edgeing ect). Im not reall sure where to begin.
    Thank-You,
    JH:usflag:

2. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

well haney you will have to help us out by explaining yourself a bit more .try and be abit more specific.i assume you havent started your business yet or you are just starting .try and come up with a scenario or example .another suggestion is to read as many posts as you can or do search on prices on a specific service .a suggestion i was given when i started was to get three quotes on my yard.that gave me a ball park at what people were charging in my area.there is so much to learn ,it will take more than one question

3. haney

haney LawnSite Member

I am just starting out. I'm trying to soak up all the info I can about the lawn care industry. Thank you very much for the advice. I am new to the game so I really don't know that much I have done some landscaping a few years ago when I lived in Connecticut, Now I live in Ohio and I would like to get into mowing, trimming, blowing just some basic lawn care. The average lot size where I live is @ 1 - 1.5 acres. I live in a gated community alot of the people out here are elderly so I don't think that I will have a problem getting contracts.(Once I start that is)
    JH

4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Yes use the search feature mate, you can get a wealth of info of it try and read a thousand posts at least to get a feel for the industry, bear in mind the number one problem for new operators is under pricing the job, but this will come soon enough even after many years you can still make mistakes....:cry: ..

Find an operater in your area and offer to work for free for a week or more, this is free on the job training for you and can prove very helpful to make the cash later, this will also give you an idea if you feel you will like the industry if you dont no harm done..:) ...if you like the industry never give up trying to learn go to night classes, help for free with landscapers, reticilation who ever all the education you get will make you payup later on, when some one says can you lay sod? :confused: you can say yes.:D

Anyway your mob are sleeping over there now, :sleeping: in the morning offer more info on your self and any equiptment you may have and there will be plenty of people to offer you assistance and hope fully guide you in the right direction...

If you want any independant advice myself and Garth from Aussie are the ones with the most constuctive advice, but steer clear of Colin (from aussie) as they say hes not the sharpest tool in the shed....:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hows that for my karma Garth ??/:laugh: :laugh: :drinkup: :drinkup:

5. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

ya done good sandy:clapping:

now haney im from oz so it wouldnt be advisable to give price advice, although from what i can work out its all relative.go to the network section of this site and hook up with the lads in ohio and chat with them.
    old lady area hey ,be careful, they drive a hard bargin.it is an environment where you will get alot of enquires though .as sandgroupher said be careful not to under quote ,most operators do to start with because they are anxious to the ball rolling.be patient.there is nothing more powerful than knowledge.so arm yourself.good luck tiger:waving:

PS WHAT EQUIP DO YOU HAVE

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Are the gates in the community Universal in size?

If so (or if not), how wide are they (what's the most common width)?

Find that out before getting a mower.

7. Sandgropher

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Was giving advice because i figured Top Sites would be :sleeping: :sleeping:

It must be 3 am there right ???:confused: :confused:

8. haney

haney LawnSite Member

4:00 am !! second shift schedule messed up huh. Any ways I have a 21" walk behind a string trimmer, a blower and a set of hedge trimmers. I know that sounds like nothing compared to some of the equipment that some people have on here but its a start.

9. haney

haney LawnSite Member

I don't really understand the question.:usflag:

10. Sandgropher

The width is important, to big a mower will not go though your standard size gates....