Priced to High?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NCL, Aug 30, 2004.

1. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Customer wants 1600 sqft of grass removed and replaced with 3/4 inch riverbed stone and fabric, also wants 130 linear ft 2 rows high of garden block. I gave her a price of $1800 for the garden wall, and $3000. to remove grass and replace with 16 tons of stone. No tractors will be used no access. She said the price of $4800 was to high, what do you guys think???

2. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

How much does your material and labor add up to? How mush work and wheelbarrow pushing is going to have to be done to get the sod out?

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Your bid sounds like

1800 = Wall
    1800= stone and installation
    1200= removal of sod and placement of fabric,hauling of debris

This price wether it was worked out like this or not
    looks to be in line,maybe a little low

Sometimes when you second guess yourself on a bid you loose
    I figure that you worked the numbers the best that you could to avoid looseing money,and the job.

Take the bid to the door they either want it or not.

Sometimes jobs can be broke into phases to spread out the cost.:)

4. firststarkid

firststarkid LawnSite Member

Tell her to give me a buzz i will give her one sky high then maybe then she will call you back

5. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

Hahaha, great idea.

6. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thanks Coffeecraver. She is an existing customer and a Retired Senior citizen, I thought the price was fair, but sometimes like you said you wind up second guessing your self.

7. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

Every time I second guess myself and lower my price, I regret it. I add my costs, figure what I need for profit and give the price. sometimes it's hard to loose a job, but it's better than doing a job for nothing.

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I bet you were surprised to find out she knows what it really costs to run a landscape business!!!!

The price seems fair. I get a kick out of potential customers that say " the price is too high". The day is coming when I politely tell a customer that just because you cannot afford something, doesn't mean the price is too high. Maybe your budget is too low! You proposed your bid, she cannot afford it, move on. :D