priceing help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TJBlandscaping, Dec 19, 2006.

1. TJBlandscaping

TJBlandscaping LawnSite Member

Need help deciding wither to charge by the month or by cut, and what is the best way to charge for fall clean ups by visit or by hour? last season I charged by month and in the spring I had to cut lawns twice and that is a lot more time and I was just trying to get the best way so I don’t loose money this year.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You'll have to double cut in the spring regardless of how you bill...if you're billing a flat-rate monthly price, it should even out over the summer with skips, less trimming, etc.

Most of my regular customers just ask me to do the cleanups and I bill off an hourly rate. For one-time customers I usually give a fixed price.

3. GWORKS

GWORKS LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Bill by the month, that way you know what your monthly income will be. The work will even itself out throughout the season as far as time spent on the job. Just explain to those customers that think they should only pay per visit that your company has fixed costs like insurance and truck/equipment payments etc. that don't give you a break just because it didn't rain in a month. I compare it to the phone company even if you never make a call your paying for the security of the service.

As far as clean ups we bill by the man hour determined by what your operating expenses are. Hope this helps

4. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Hoolie said it all Monthly and by the hour on clean-ups.
    One timers bill the day of and fixed price the one timers usually
    have a stroke when you tell them $60.00 an hour per man

5. nc-native

nc-native LawnSite Member

You might find it easier to have a yearly contract. Monthly payments will be the same except for additional work of course. Its easier for you accounting wise and your client won't be hit with sudden changes in billings from you.

6. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

Agreed, contract or service agreement is the way to go, get paid for the winter months when it is slow!