1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Priceing mulching and fertilization jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ShaneLawnCare, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ShaneLawnCare

ShaneLawnCare LawnSite Member

This is my first year in business and I am wondering how to price a remulching job and fertilization. Thanks
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

2.5x's the cost of the mulch, total price. Check with your state, most likely you have to be licensed to spread fertilizer, especially crabgrass preventer or weed-n-feed.

Probably check with your state's department of agriculture.
  3. ShaneLawnCare

ShaneLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thank you and I will check
  4. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

yeah be careful with the fert. i didnt kno i needed a license for a while
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I was told that you don't need a license to put down fert, you only need it for anything ending is "cides". I was told this 2 years ago. Maybe I'll call to confirm.
  6. Hoy landscaping

i read on the AG departments website that theres a pesticide license. im not sure what it covers
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The best way to price is to give it away the first year and see what happens in year 2.

Not to be a huge smart azz but what are you thinking of charging? What are your expenses. Overhead, Insurance, equipment , wages, on and on. I wouldn't take anyones advice on what to charge until you know what your business NEEDS to charge.

Good Luck.
  8. stephen424

stephen424 LawnSite Senior Member

just charge $30 per yard, plus the price of the mulch...since it's your first year in business. this is not a lowball price, but it's not the biggest profitable price either....right in the middle.
    you should be able to spread 1 yard/hour. and once you find your rhythm, you should be able to spread the 2nd yard in 45 minutes, and the 3rd yard in 30 minutes.
    and i'm talking scoop - wheel barrow - dump - spread!

thats how i price my mulch jobs. this is what i tell my customers...
    "i get the mulch from XXX mulch yard, good quality stuff...they charge $30 plus tax for mulch and i charge $30 per yard to spread"

i always mention the mulch yard that i get it from cause i know customers these days are going to call and verify that it's $30 yard. what they don't know is that i really get it for less than that since get a hookup. so i'm making a profit on the mulch and selling to the customer that "i don't upcharge the mulch like others do"

like i said, once my blood gets going, i can spread 1 yard in 30 minutes.
    but i'd charge $150 labor for 5 yards ($30/hour x 5 yards).

and i can knock out 5 yards, solo, in about 3 hours.
    so really i just made $50/hour labor and a small profit on the mulch coming in at "a reasonable price"
  9. Hoy landscaping

yeah stephen thats what i do. it works great. except for the 30 per yard part
  10. towtruck212

towtruck212 LawnSite Member

You need a license to apply fert. to a lawn other than your own. I dont think anyone just uses fert and nothing else anyway.