1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Priceless Picture

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nosparkplugs, Jun 7, 2009.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

For all those Ford diehards this is how your 6.0 & 6.4 Powerstroke must be accessed for even minor repairs. Surly a great design for a superior truck.

2. AdvancedLawns

AdvancedLawns LawnSite Member

my cousin works at ford and said its only a few bolts..
  3. nosparkplugs

Couple of bolts some plugs & a $6,000 dollar lift great design for the Owner-operator whom wants to work on his own Powerstroke.:laugh:

4. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Actually the body should be fully removed from the area of the chassis while the engine and transmision are under service. One should not service it under a hanging body such as the picture would imply that this shop is doing.

Personally, other than the wire connectors only being designed for about 10 connections and disconnects, and the obvious need for special equipment, it's still a lot easier to service modern veichles with the front body off. Underhood access is pitiful these days, although overall the Ford trucks have a move "van like" underhood arrangment of late.

How about this for engine access:

5. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

thats why i bought a dodge cummins.....!!!!! none better!!!!!!
  6. nosparkplugs

Ditto gotta love the In-line diesels got room to sleep under the hood:walking:

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I love old Mercedes with the OM617-952 engines. Simple to work on, most things are easily accessible, and there is not much to go wrong with those engines. Enough power to get around and gets 25-30 MPG doing it. The engines will also run on biodiesel or used vegetable oil without any problems as well. My personal car is a 1983 300D with the 617-952 engine. That is how I got bitten by the diesel bug. This same engine was first tested in a record setting car in the 1970's http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3200.asp?id=11583. In the production version, the intercooler was left out and the turbo was limited to 12 PSI so the engine only put out about 120 hp. However it is still a torque monster, 170 ft lb of torque out of a 3.0 liter engine.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I see oportunity for someone to design a kit that makes easy removal of the front clip all in one piece. But really what a pita. :rolleyes:
  9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you really believe you cab and all of the electronics and steering components and brake linkage and AC and everything else are really held on by " a few bolts"? If that's the case, that sucker could fly off any second going down the road! :dizzy:
  10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

its actually a really quick procedure to get the cabs off the 08+ trucks. besides we bought enough warranty to cover the truck until we sell it, nothing will be coming out of pocket on our end. we have had zero issues with our 09 that we purchased in dec. last year. 12K miles so far on the 6.4L