1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

prices for a newspaper ad

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by emt144, Feb 4, 2005.

1. emt144

emt144 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,
    I just placed an ad in the local newspaper that services a town of about 10000 people. It is a fairly decent ad and they quoted me 78.00 a month for a reoccuring ad. Does this sound fair. Seems kind of pricy to me. Please let me know. By the way, this newspaper is the only reputable paper in town
  2. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

My area is a bit larger but about $60 will buy you 7 days.......
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

how long is your ad? I know they charge by the line. if your ad is 5 or 6 lines long that's real reasonable... our local paper os getting outrageous on their classified advertising and ads for services are about double what ads run for items for sale. I ran an ad to sell a truck for a week and it was 85 bucks!
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on 1) what the papers actual circulation is (based on 10K residents it is probably no more than 1-2000) also is this a daily paper or a weekly. 2) the size of the ad and what section it is in. But is sounds very cheap to me unless it is just a word type classified ad.

I ran one 2.5" x 2.5" ad in the Greensboro paper (225K pop) for 2 days (2 straight Saturdays) in the Classified Section and it cost me $623.00
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Are you talking about a display ad, or just a couple lines in the classifieds?
    Six lines of text in the classifieds running for one month costs me about $150 in my local paper.

I can't imagine what they'd charge me for a display ad, even a small business card size for a whole month. I'm sure it would be HUNdreds, if not more, like 4 figures $$!.
  6. Post the ad
    give the size
    How many times will it run for $78.00
    what is the circulation of paper
  7. red raider04

red raider04 LawnSite Member

A plain-jane 4-line classified ad in san antonio will run you about $90/week.....sa has about 1.3 mill people?, so it's like everyone else has been saying, it's just relative to ad type & audience.
  8. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

$135.00 per mth for a 3 line classified on contract. But it's worth every penny!
  9. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

emt144 are you a fireman? pic of my bussiness card in paper for 1 month is 72$
  10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Ours is $150.00 per run.