1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Prices for Metro HP and TTHP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mottster, Jun 28, 2003.

1. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Hey all. I've taken interest in either the Metro HP or the TTHP. I'd be getting the 36" decks on either. Just wondering what the prices would be between the two. I'm still deciding on gear drive or the hydro. Floating deck is necessary for me though with the lawns i have to mow. Also...what is the width of these two decks when the chute is up? I'm guessing like 37" or close to it.

Also. I need prices for the Mulching kit and the Bagging kit.

I figure that prices would be different from region to region and dealer to dealer but would it be fair to say that prices would tend to lower in the fall months?

Is ECS the only thing available or are standard pistol grips available? Price differences?

thanks a lot.
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

36" Metro HP, ECS only,15 Kawi V twin $3,249
    36" TTHP, ECS only, 15 Kawi V twin $4,699
    (prices in my town)
    Go 36 TTHP with ECS, the ECS on gear Metro HP is not fun to work with, it is funky the way neutral, lock are done right at top of handle and brake adjustment, etc. I find the pistol is best on gear model very solid metal and simple to adjust, and ECS is best on hydro very quick on changing speed and the way you control.
  3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

48" metro hp 15 kawasaki with mulch kit, and jumgle jims silkie was 3299.00
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the post.

The Metro HP 36" MSRP is around $3499 and the TThp is around $4899.

Both the Metro HP and the TThp are available with ECS only.

The width of both machines is 36.1 with the chute up and 45.9" with the chute down.

The grass catcher lists for around $260 and the mulch kit for $120. Prices will vary from region to region and can vary during the season as well. Most of the promotions or determine either locally or regionally so it's difficult to determine what will be happening this fall.

5. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Sounds like I need to go over to Louisanna to buy my next Exmark! I just bought a 36" Metro HP. The cut quality with the mulch kit is excellent and the machine is very well built. However, buying it was a mistake. I should have bought the TTHP. If I lived where the lawns are flat, I'd might be happy with it. Also don't unestimate the value of being able to go in reverse. I did. Sure you can cut so that you mostly go forward, but I have found that if I were able to go in reverse, I could save alot of trimming time. I'm also finding that I walk alot less than I did using 21"s, but my upper body and thighs are getting ten times the workout they used to from manhandling a 600 lb. mower through turns. I was actually less tired using a 21". It's been said here on Lawnsite a 1000 times - save your pennies and GET A HYDRO. Wish I had.
  6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Georgiagrassman - Even with a belt drive, you shouldn't have to manhandle the machine on turns. Use the brakes and let the machine do the work for you.

I agree, hydro is worth the extra money and the only way to go for me.
  7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Georgiagrassman, do you use any riding or sulky attachment on your Metro? If not, that is the major reason why you are so beaten cutting with 36" Metro. I also have 36" belt Metro and I love it. My first two weeks cutting without sulky, I was like you the mower pulled me without mercy, could not engage 4th and 5 th gear cause it pulled my guts out!
    I am the opposite of your experience, believe me, as soon as you have the sulky, your perspective on the mower will be "bingo" It is different beast from walking. I never walk behind again, all my 21" were sold and only 36" and bigger what I use now.
    If your fatigue is still caused by riding behind sulky, then you might have to consider a Z, cause a Hydro WB will not help you much as long as you still have to stand to operate a heavier Hydro mower , 500-600+ lbs. (hydro is heavier than belt) Don't mistake the brute force associated with WB for a little 21" WB
  8. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I had a Metro HP 48" 15 Kaw with ECS it did not reverse well, in fact I found it easer just to leave it in gear, put the ECS in Nutrual and pull it back. When the grass was wet had it had trouble steering and getting up to full speed, this became so much of a problem I got a Lazer Z this season. But if the lawns you cut are normaly dry you may not have a problem.
  9. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

First, let me thank MTR and Darryl for the helpful posts - I appreciate all the help I can get. Yeah - I'm using a 2 wheel Velky. I probably am manhandling it too much - still have some learning to do. But here's the thing - I demoed a TTHP last week and didn't have to get physical with it at all. It handled MUCH better on hills, I could make turns without fear of locking up the inner wheel and of course it had reverse. I'm sure I could learn to use the belt drive better, but after demoing the TTHP, the Metro HP is for sale.

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have been so hard on belt drives in my last post. One thing that I am learning above all other things about this business is that what works for one person, with one type of grass, with one type of terrain and with one type of budget will vary greatly from the next. I guess that's why they make all kinds of mowers. My gut feel is that the hydro will work out better for most people and if you make the mistake I did, you either have to live with the mistake (and much lower productivity) or trade up which will cost ya (me).