prices for mini skids

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bearmtnmartin, Apr 27, 2008.

1. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I have demoed a couple of mini skids and I plan to buy the Ditch Witch SK650. I don't really buy small stuff, so I don't follow the prices. I have been quoted 26K and change. So just for kicks I went to the machinery trader and did a search for 35 hp sit down skid steers. They are way less. Is 26,600 out of line for a SK650?

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

is that w/ any attachments? being you're in canada I guess that would be about right. You'll love it once you get it, I bought one and then liked it so much got another.

3. bearmtnmartin

I get it with one bucket and a two year warranty. Our dollar has been pretty much at par with yours for a while, so I wouldn't expect the price to be much different.

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Have you looked at the Komatsu at all?

5. bearmtnmartin

do they make a stand on unit?

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe, but I would ask around at a grey market dealer. I know they make pretty small hoes (really small) but a mini skid skid maybe.

7. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

I never priced the Ditch Witch, but that price sounds way high to me. I would shop around.

We have Toro Dingos, and I know some guys prefer the DW's and some prefer the Dingos, so I'm not trying to re-start that debate. A new Dingo can be had for $18-19K and even if you like the DW better, you will never get an additional $7-8K return on your investment. A thousand or two extra to get your preferred machine may make sense (but I always think of that as a personal expense and not an investment), but not 40% more money. There is no way that either of the two will be 40% more productive or make you 40% more money - it won't happen!

The market is very slow for these dealers right now. I would shop around and I would let the dealer know I was shopping around. Chances are they will not let a sale get away in this market.

Good luck.

8. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

BTW - I wouldn't even look at hte small sit down skidsteers. There are no significant advantages other than you get to sit down. There are on the other hand countless disadvantages such as visibility, accessibilty(incredibly difficult to enter and egress), extra weight, less manueverabilty, etc...

One major drawback to a normal skid is that hte operator will usually sit and wait for a groundman to move something or do some task while a stand-on or walk behind operator will simply just take a couple of steps, do the task and be right back to work - it's a big deal!

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

the sk650s come at a premium because of the turbo kubots, but if you're running much of anything you'll love them. we replaced out 763 bobcat our second unit, visibility was better, it's quicker and we still use the 763's bucket to move mulch around and sometimes dirt. I think they list out here at 22k but w/ a combo bucket and whatever else you're getting and the tariffs or taxes I would think canada would impose I can see where you'd get 26

10. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I think in some cases a machine such as a ASV RC30 would be better than a walkbehind. Better traction, faster ground speed, more stabilty for work on slopes, and you can still work in cold or rainy weather inside of a heated cab. Every machine will have its trade offs so I would look at all options that fit into your budget.