1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

prices for shoveling dirt

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by slowleak1, May 16, 2008.

1. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

no idea what to charge, anyone got a price per yard figure or something like that? do yall factor in the distance you have to move it?
  2. vos

vos LawnSite Member

um shoveling dirt? do you mean like trash dirt as in stuff you have left over from working on a yard? or dress dirt the good stuff to make a yard look good? but either way per yard id figure 15 a yard if its good stuff if its bad stuff id figure 10 but you can play with that its just a newbies guess.
  3. slowleak1

no im talking good quality top soil to go in flower beds. need some prices asap
  4. slowleak1

5. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I dosen't matter to me what I am doing weather it be cleaning out beds or shoveling dirt or spreading mulch...I charge $50/hr labor...period
  6. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Estimate how long it will take you, and charge based on that for strictly labor jobs such as this one.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

About $25/hr would be reasonable ......assuming you are a professional worker---in good shape.
  8. If I'm shoveling dirt, it means there's a lot of dirt. Don't confuse this with mulch - dirt sucks.....

$100 an hour - period... If you can get it.. If the customer likes and trusts you, charge it.

If they'll shop around, do it for what you're willing to make...
  9. slowleak1

well ive never done it and been paid before, plus its an older lady from church. dont wanna charge her too much. i estimate about an hour and a half to do it. thinking about just chrging her $50
  10. By the time you pay for your gas - assuming it's not too far away... Your under $25 an hour.

That's simply not enough IMO

Just my .02