1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Prices for WB vs. ZTR?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BrandonH, Oct 30, 2003.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I've searched the site and come to the conclusion that about $50-60/hr. is a good rule of thumb. My question is what about the variables in time such as equipment? A person with a 36"WB is going to take much longer than a person with a 52"ZTR. Do you just base the cost on what equipment you have, and if it isn't enough you need to buy bigger equipment? I'm just trying to figure out how to be competitive since all I have is 36"WB and many of my competitors have larger ZTR's.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Time your mowing now on your accounts. Then demo a 52 ZTR and time that.
  3. lawnmowermannh

lawnmowermannh LawnSite Member

I have a 48 inch WB and a 60 inch ZTR. I base my lawn mowing pricing using my 48 inch WB. I do this because if my ZTR is experiening down time I don't lose money. I use my ZTR when ever I can to make more. I found that when mowing with my ZTR I make about 40% more than my WB. Next season I will be buying another ZTR to have one as a back up.