prices goin up up up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 5, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wow, it's gettin very expensive to do this. gas up to $2.40 (more than 100% from 2 yrs ago). ferts up nearly 50%. stone, went from $34 a ton to $65 a ton. it's gettin bad

2. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Get a 4 banger and gas increases wont bother you too much

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

and you could use an electric trimmer to cut down on gas, and a reel mower too, ...

ever try and pull a professional rig with a 1200 lb ztr with a 4 cylinder????????????

4. lowballer17

Whatever it takes my friend. There are times and places for heavy equipment. Most lawns I see do not require a 350 diesel with a 1200 lb rider.

5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The fact of the matter is that lawn care service prices must go up to match the increasing cost of doing business and living life. One can only reduce waste so much until eventually they have streamined as much as is possible, then the increased cost of everything cannot be offset anymore. You must also consider that switching to a 4 banger will cost money, which will offset the amount of your fuel saving and in the end put you in a vehicle that is not capable of the expanded role of a growing business.

I say be efficient as possible, when it is time to purchase a new machine consider efficiency, but at the same time prices must go up. (unfortunately prices are doing the opposite in many areas)

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i was very upset, when, for the second time in only one week, i had to stop and put $20 in the gas tank. more upsetting was.......we did a stone job using 1+1/2 " deleware stone. now, i generally charge $135-$150 per ton of stone. last year, it was $34 a ton. i quoted the job, unaware of the material price increase. i was shocked to see it went to $65 a ton. can i add the extra, to the customers bill? or maybe just.....spread it thinner?

7. lowballer17

add the cost on.

8. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Bobby, I would eat it this time. It really is our responsibility to know our costs as painful as that may sound right now.

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Ya right...he doesn't realize there is a diference between doing 10 lawns a week and 100 lawns a week.

10. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

On the other hand, it is easier said than done. You can see what they say. How many tons do you need to use?