Prices I got today...whatcha think?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

The following are belt drives:

Ferris 36/15 Kaw: $2850
    Toro 36/15 Kaw T-Bar: $2976
    Exmark 36/13 Kaw w/ ECS: $2800
    Husqvarna: 36/13: $2395
    Bunton 36/15 with Z-controls: $2850

So many choices, it's hard to decide.
    The most personable dealer with the nicest shop was the Exmark dealer. The Toro and Husqvarna dealer were tied for second in the personable category, shops were kind of OK with the Toro dealer having a little bit better shop. The Bunton dealer wasn't very friendly, kind of rushed me out of the store, but I really thought the Z-controls were nice. But, unfortunately, since he seemed like he didn't have time for me, I think the Bunton is out of the question. The Toro guytook out back and he demo'd his 36 that he let's people borrow, I was very impressed with it and the T-Bar. I really like the Toro but it is the most expensive and the dealers shop was a little seedy. But the dealer seemed OK. The Exmark dealer's shop was very spacious and clean and he had a ton of equipment in stock. He showed me his parts room and it had quite a few repair parts in it. He showed me his repair shop and it is very nice with laptop computers at the work stations. It was very professional in appearance,unlike most shops that I visited that had dirt neck looking mechanics working on equipment outside and/or in the dirt. I am not saying that they are not good mechanics, they just don't look very professional. How are the ECS controls on the Exmarks? I was messing with one on the floor (hydro I think) and it seemed hard to squeeze. I sure wish the exmark dealer sold Toro, it would be an easy choice then. So please help me decide which mower to get! All of this is too much for my simple brain to comprehend...please make my decision for me! It's driving me mad:hammerhead:
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

in my area, that exmark would be $2600 just to let you know, i assume you are talking about the metro
  3. Grits

from Florida

Oh yeah, I liked the Husqvarna too. The controls seemed decent. Any comments on this mower?
  4. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

The ecs controls on my 36" tthp exmark are hard to squeeze as well. It is easier the higher up you grip.
  5. Grits

from Florida

Yes I am talking about the metro. Well the thing is, at first he quoted $2400, I said "is that with the ECS controls", then he said $2800. I don't know if he seized an oppurtunity to up the price at that point. I would hate to think so because he was such a nice old man. But it is hard for me to trust anybody selling anything.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would have left at once, my dealer recently sold the shop to some young entrepreneurs who, when I walked in they must've thought I was made of money or something... Off I was, to never return. Yes, I hated to see it, too.

If you're just starting out, get a used Wb. They're a lot cheaper so you'll be out less if you don't make it (over half of all new businesses never do, yours is but a statistic in all of that, do not assume what may happen). It will also give you the opportunity to learn how to do maintenance and repairs (read the thread of the newcomer who thought his stuff was under warranty and the dealership slipped him a 500-dollar repair bill for something which, had it been me, I could've done in an afternoon myself for a lot less). Last but not least, the older mower has less power which means when (yes, when) you hit something or run it into the ditch, you will do less damage to not only whatever you hit, but the mower as well.

I didn't buy a new one until my 4th year and by that time, I had a national toro account.
    But I didn't have squat when I started, except 5 thousand dollars cash.
    Which I saved over 3-4 years by slaving away at a job, I washed dishes in a busy restaurant night after night and never went out, never did nothing but put money aside.
    This is how I made it, dig your own way but learn to walk before you run, I was told.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you are buying a mower to make money with than buy a Hydro. If you are solo than in 3 months when you realize the mistake you made, go and buy the hydro and the belt will sit. And do not say I can not afford a hydro. Mowers do not "cost" money, they make money, Make the most you can!
  8. Grits

from Florida

IT's not that I can't afford a hydro....but, my wife thinks I can not afford a hydro!:)
  9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

The Toro would be $2400 here.... You can make money with the belt drive..... I have for years......

10. Grits

from Florida

Why are they more expensive here? Or do I have "sucker" written across my forehead? I really do not want to get taken. I really would like a NEW mower, any suggestions on getting the price down or are they just more in the Pensacola/Gulf Breeze, Florida area?