prices of Kubota 161 excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vntgrcr, Oct 5, 2005.

1. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently in the market for a new/used excavator. I have a Bobcat dealer locally who has a 2001 337 w/ 2000hrs, 2 buckets asking $33K, think I could probably get it for around $30K. But, I have been advised to seriously look into a Kubota 161. Have not been able to find any used ones on the net, and am wondering if anyone has priced a new one lately. I will need a cab with HVAC and a thumb. Also what do you think of the price of the Bobcat. Thanks for any help.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would rather have the Kubota over the Bobcat machine I was never impressed with Bobcat mini's. If you can afford it go with a new Kubota and see if you can get on the payment plan or financing.

You have to be carefull about buying used mini's they see alot more abuse than fullsize machines. Most of the time if you want to make money buy a new mini right off the bat then you know what you got.
  3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

A KX121-3 super series WITHOUT cab and on rubber tracks can be bought for $40,000. (I just did) I have had great luck with Kubota,Give one a try. :waving:
  4. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

I can't help you with pricing but our KX 161-3 has been a great machine. At 2500hrs we have just replaced an alternator belt...thats it. We run a rock breaker, various buckets and it gets a lot of use lifting 540lb blocks. The A/C is a real blessing in summer and the cab is a pretty good spot to be on a cold rainy day.

I like the pilot controls but the travel pedals could use some work. A lot of the smaller Kubotas have had some issues with fracturing on the boom but we have had no problem. A company we used to sub to has just purchased their own they were that impressed with it...bummer for us.

Downunder the KX 161 with cab runs at about 10% less that the 5 tonne Cat. From my experience I believe the machine has similar build quality although Cat finishes off some of those small things just that little bit better.

I would not like to be much over my 6'1" and spend all day in the 161 cab but I guess that goes for most asian designed compact machines.

At times I really need a smaller excavator and Kubota will be on the top of my list when the time comes....after the new truck...and the set of grapples I need....and a new trailer..and..and :rolleyes:

140905 001.jpg
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The travel pedals are one of my complaints with the KX 161-3 I was running its a 2003 model the contractor bought it new. With my size 11s I had troubles operating the foot pedals so I had to use the sticks.

My other choices for a mini excavator would be Hitachi/Deere 50 or 80 or Kobelco 50SR 70SR.

I'am not too impressed with Komatsu excavators after running 158 zero tail swing.

Takeuchi supposidly makes a good machine never tried one thou.
  6. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Well I went and talked to the "man". Looks like they are asking $53K list. To get the angled backfill blade $2K, thumb $2K. Ouch! Do you guys know if they will talk/ negotiate price. Looking at a used CAT 305 that the salesman says will be around $50K. Thinking that the Kubota or the 337 that I spoke of earlier may be the most affordable. Not comfortable going into winter with a $750/month payment.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Cat 305 is an excellent machine. How many hours for $50K? When we were shopping for an excavator we looked at 304 and those could be had with around 300 hrs. or so for about $46K, not too sure about the 305 but $50K with 300-400 hrs. sounds about right.
  8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

A few other possobilities if you have dealers in your local area, terex and volvo both make machines in that size. I hear really goood things about the volvos and there are more and more in this area. The terex also seems like a decent value , I tried one and it seemed like an ok machine except that the swing speed seemed pretty slow, I didn't really get enough time on it to comment much about it though.
  9. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Try Messicks in PA. Ask for Tony, Tell em Planet Landscaping:waving: sent ya. (Mine has Angle blade and Hydro thumb, open rops, on rubber for 40k)
  10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Ther'e are some very good year end deals going on at kubota right now. We are taking delivery tomorrow of a B3030,loaded fact. cab, etc. We locked in to 4.9 % apr @ 60 months no problem and got a great trade in. Very excited about fertilizing athletic fields saturday while listening to cd's in my FACTORY CAB,no way i will sleep tonight! Did i mention i was excited:drinkup: