Prices on Trailer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by spitfire3416, Jan 20, 2014.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been thinking about putting my price for lawn cutting on my trailer lately. I notice U-Haul and Home Depot truck rentals do this and it gave me the idea. Something like "as low as $25 per cut".

Example:

[​IMG]

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

How about when you pull up to a property when you have to charge $50:waving:

3. spitfire3416

then the price is $50. it's merely just a marketing strategy to entice people to pick up the phone and call. on uhaul trucks they say the price then "plus mileage". same thing as putting "as low as". i'm not saying that is what the price will be but rather that's what my prices start at.

4. walkerway

walkerway LawnSite Member

That is the most ignorant thing ever, all you will attract is low price, tire kicking, customers. Unless that is what kind of customers you are chasing.

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Not really. It's a marketing strategy
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh:

Dang, dude! Pretty harsh.

I don't think it's a bad idea. It'd be in vinyl, so if the results don't end up being what you thought, you can peel it off. But, I won't stick the key in the ignition for $25.

7. spitfire3416

it's not meant to chase any one particular kind of customer. it's meant to attract all potential customers. it's a call to action. businesses do this all the time in every industry. people are attracted to prices even if it doesn't relate to their own personal needs. it gets them looking and more importantly calling.

8. spitfire3416

Yea I was thinking about putting $30 but I have some really small properties that take 10 minutes to cut by myself. If a neighbor of one of my customers sees that and I can pick that house up for $25, I'll do it. I like to keep my route really tight if it means sacrificing an extra $5 on some lawns.

9. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Makes sense. I've got five-$30 properties in a row. Gotta' do what you gotta' do. Oh yeah, they're three blocks from home. ;)

BTW, If you do this, be sure to post up a pic. I'd like to see your trailer (maybe it's already on the site) and how the decal turns out. I'm guessing you're going for the comic book "BAM!" or "SPLAT!", for lack of term, impact design?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  10. walkerway

walkerway LawnSite Member

Its one thing for a grocery store to advertise it price on identical products, but like the grass cutter next door advertising $25 lawn cuts doesn't make sense cause every lawn is different. So then basically you're advertising your minimum charge which is also pointless.