1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Prices Per Acre

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muxx, Nov 18, 2007.

1. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

How does everyones prices per acre compar, now that gas has gone up? City and rural areas. I live in rural southern ohio and it runs around $30-$35 per acre. I have a big contract with General Electric, 120 acres per week and it doesn't even pay half of that. I am looking to let it go. Any prices would be great.
  2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Im sure some people will jump all over this but remember I live in a different part of the country then you do.

Generally on homes I try and get about $4.00 per thousand sq ft and thats up to around 20,000 square feet that I keep that price.

When I start getting up into acres it gets a little dicey.

If its flat, no obstructions such as beds or trees and no trimming or edging then I charge around $75.00 per acre.

If the rest of those things come into question then my price goes up to $100.00 per acre for the first acre and then $50.00 per acre after that.
  3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow Less than 1/2 of 30-35 bucks per acre...I assume this 120 acres is not one lot...how many lots or yard is it??

Most of my propertys are at least 1 acre ,and they start at $130 P/A

If It's a 25 acre property then the price comes way down P/A
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

every lawn is different and there are a lot of variables but we usually run about $60/acre
  5. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

We charge between $25-$75 per acre in central rural Illinois. All depends on ease, distance away and type ie; commercial, residential. and I hate to say it but picky customers pay more.
  6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I do about $55 an acre depending on difficulty
  7. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow what a range....I was just wondering, if you are only getting $30-35/acre, what are you getting for 1/4 acre or less? I can't believe that there are parts of our country where the pricing market is that low. I average $65/acre. More if there is lots of trim work. I can get $50 out of some of the 1/2 acre lots....not all, but at least $45.
    I know that in my area the cost of living is fairly low compared to most parts of the country. I don't see how you can live on that kind of money. I used to think my prices were a little on the high side, but people keep paying it. I personally know about 7-8 other LCO owners in my area, and our prices are very close. I am probably somewhere in the upper middle range on pricing compared to the other guys I know. Some of these customers sure are lucky to get their property serviced at such a low price.
  8. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

My 120 acre is at one location. It is a test facility for GE Jet Engines. I get $16.25 per acre and theythink that is alot. I am trying to get some lco's from the Cincy area to bid it and then they will find out. If you had to calculate your time per hour, around here it is roughly $25 - $35 per hour per man/mower. What is anyone else's prices, if calculated that way? THanks for the reply's.
  9. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

If I did figure that way I would have to make at least $35 per hour. That is a minimum. If I gross any less than that, I find I am not making enough profit to be worth my while. I started out with a figure of more like $25/hour. It didn't take long to raise the prices. I just did a little math and was like...:cry: