Prices, Price, Prices.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Hokie Okie, Apr 27, 2004.

1. The Hokie Okie

The Hokie Okie LawnSite Member

I had a old man (about 60+) call me yesterday. He told me that he wanted me to mow his lawn and that he could just not get a hold of the guy that usually does his lawn. He asked me what I would charge I knew what his lawn looked like So I told him around $40-$45 but of course he said the last guy who did it did it for $35. I wanted to say well just call "him" and let "him" do it, butI need some more lawns and refrained. Then he told me his neighbor needed her lawn done to it was about the same size and he said she wanted it done for the same price. Well since they were both together I said I would do them for just that day. It was alot of work. Took 3 guys about 2.5 hr. Is this normal pay or am I getting screwed by a older stranger. I want to raise the price and what would be the most professional way to go about this.

2. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

after you give a customer a price you really cant turn around and say I screwed up and under charged you. Just take that as an experience and wait till next year to higher your price. Plus if you bid a 2.5 hour job at only 45.00 you screwed yourself......

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say your going to have to tell him that you have to raise the price because of the size of the yard and give him the option to keep you cutting it or your going to have to move on. 2.5 hours for 2 yards with 3 guys is still worth way more then 45 per lawn, I used to mow 1.5 hour jobs with 2 guys and we were charging 65 and that was low because it was a relitive.

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree. That is way too low of price for that much work. Even at $45/yard you're loosing money.

5. The Hokie Okie

The Hokie Okie LawnSite Member

well I actually made $70 for both lawns not just 45. But thanks for the advice.

6. parafighter4

parafighter4 LawnSite Member

You made $70 but how much did you pay your help?...

7. JON K

JON K LawnSite Member

2.5 hours for two yards at $35 = $70 Divide that by hours worked 70/2.5hrs = $28 per hour. two workers to $8 an hour x 2.5 = $40 which leaves you with $30 to pay yourself, insurance, equipment, maintenance, workmenÂ’s compt C, and all other overhead.

Just some numbers to help with your decision

8. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I would not do it again for that price.
    3 guys @ 2.5 hours is 7.5 man hours.
    you charged $70, that is $9.33 per man hour!!!:blob2:

I guess what pops into my head is
    1) how large are these lawns to be taking so long
    2) what equipment are you using? 1 mower, 2, 3? what size?

I think either your prices are low to begin with, or your estimating is way off.

Using your numbers, I'd be mowing most of my lawns for $5 :confused:

you may want to take a look at your efficiency, as well as your estimating, so you can start making some money.

Make sure to bill what you are worth, by not doing so, you hurt yourself, and the industry.

Hope this helps, good luck with it