Prices to Quote for Landscaping

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jtkplc, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer that needs quite a bit of landscaping done. I've never done any landscaping, just lawn care. I'm doing the work for a trailer park. They've had about 50 ash trees cut down and the stumps ground up. I need to get rid of the chips (either dump them somewhere or recycle them in the play ground area) and then fill in the hole w/ dirt and then seed it. They are going to provide the materials, they just need someone to do the work. They are also putting in 80 street lights where the dirt around it needs to be leveled off and rocks and debris filtered out once the light poles go it. That same procedure is needed for about 20 stop signs, and 20 no parking signs.

There is a fence that has been installed around the perimeter of a playground. The ground needs to be leveled and in spots filled in and leveled and then seeded. Another playground needs to have wood chips put under a swing set and under a climbing arch where the sod will need to be dug out a few inches to remove the grass before the woods chips go down. Up around the clubhouse there is some sod that needs to be repaired also.

I want to know about how much to charge. If i can get rid of the wood chips from the cut down trees, fill them in w/ dirt and then put seed on it in say 3 hours do I go 3 x 50 and figure 150 hours for doing the trees and them multiply that by a certain hour rate. If so, what is a good hourly rate. For lawn care it's 25-35 an hour or so, does the same rates apply for this type of work or should I be asking more.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I should also mention that I have to big equipment. It would be all with shovels, landscape rakes, wheel borrow, etc.

3. TurfdudeNCSU

TurfdudeNCSU LawnSite Member

I would diffently price that by the hour... Figure your total cost per man, per hour, and add a percent of mark up to it. We usually charge $30.00 per man. Hope that helps and good luck.

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

DO NOT use those wood chips for the playground area. You will have alot of problems w/ splinters, etc. There is a product made for playground areas called Playground Mulch or Wood Carpet. It is made from special soft woods and manufactured specifically for that purpose. You could open yourself or the park to lawsuits. Just my .02

Chris

5. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Rent a bobcat, and keep it moving, You will never be able to bid that to an acceptable price by doing all the work with shovels and rakes. You should be able to get a bobcat for 130 dollars a day. If your trailor doesn't haul 6000 pounds, you'll probably have to pay a delivery and pick up charge, probably another 100 dollars. Do your work in the early spring before mowing season, when things have thawed a little bit. Try to get rid of the stuff on site, You can get rid of it in the play area, but you'd have to cover it up and put the right stuff down on top. The splinters would probably be a problem. Incorporate the cost of the bobcat into your bid and charge a lot more than 30 dollars an hour for the time on the equipment. You can charge 30 dollars an hour for the hand work. Use the bobcat yourself, have your helper or hire a helper to do the hand work and pay them by the hour. Your going to need a whole lot of top soil to fill the areas around all those ground stumps. You can probably push a lot of your chips back into the holes, just be sure to put 4 inches or more of good top soil on top, and run over it a few times to avoid sinking. Hope that helps.