prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by costcutter, Sep 19, 2003.

1. costcutter

costcutter LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I was reading thread bt meier on new way to bid and it seemed to get a lot of reaction from members. my question is how do the cutters on this site price there accounts? some appeared to be awful cheap and some were average. I don't know how the 2 acres looked but if it was being cut with a bushog the lot could have been rough. on priceing we have to remember we have expenses to like our equipment gas & repairs or maintaining. Thanks BILL

2. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

A $1 a min or more here I believe is the goal at lawn site.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Is that nation wide?
    If it is...I need to re-think some think somes things!

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

It should be nation wide by all means. If it is not try to get it there with the right equipment and salesmenship.

5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I also try to strive for that. But I find it much easier to gen on the smaller lawns. Sometimes 1 1/2 that. Sometimes 3/4 that on accounts that take 1 hr. or so. 54" Bunton, solo.

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

In theory $1 a minute would be nice.

Is it obtainable in every location of the country?

But now what does that $1 a minute represent? 1 man opperator? That's odd cause so many times you read here $35+ an hour. So what does that $1 a minute represent?

It's pure BS, nothing more.

Your prices are dictated by what the location will allow.

You have to know what is going on in your own backyard.

7. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I'm sure not everone here charges a dollar a minute. Some may charge more, some much less. I personally vary from property to property depending on the variables.

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I bid each property solely on the work involved. Once you figure out your expenses then you'll know what you need to make on each individual property. I've even underbid one large property just to make sure I landed the account. The reason for that was because I knew I could make it up in all the extra work they would have me do over the season. It worked out for both parties. They save money in mowing which enables them to afford mulching, aerating, over seeding, and tree removal.

9. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Glan is not always right, but never wrong. Now that takes some skill. I have to disagree with his statement though...
    ...given the audience here on Lawnsite. The more experienced businessmen will know how quote and figure jobs.

The less experienced contractors such as myself, can use this mentally as a measuring tool. Figure how long it may take to do things and think of this easy formula to see where it may fit.

Of course nothing is ever set in stone, everyone here im sure understands that. But, markets can be driven down (as this one IS) and attempts can be made to bring them back up.

Arent Unions in some ways designed to do this. Keep professional services paying professional rates. Lawnsite is an organization of professionals, all to varying degrees of course. But we should all consider ourselves professionals.

Glan you seem to have some solid experience and I enjoy your posts. I just don't think we should 'blow the $60/hr thing out of the water'. It does more good, in the minds of many, than harm for sure.

10. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I think it is obtainable in every part of the country for the most part it is a goal to shoot for wheather in bidding or to work more productive on the job. I am not saying every job is going to be there, or should be there but it is the ultimate goal for us. I am reffering to this as a solo-op so from a crews stand point I am unsure I have not worked that deep yet.