Pricing?? 1st Cut Free

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ul2fly, Apr 15, 2004.

1. ul2fly

ul2fly LawnSite Member
    from tx

HELLO

Im just sitting here trying to come up with marketing ploys.
    What is the cost involved with your average say $30.00 job

I figure if you did your home work on what area to market this stratigy you could gain at least 3 accounts in one day.
    The idea is for the new guy with more time spen not cutting than cutting grass. Target a specific hood and offer the first cut for free.
    Limited to the days schudule on a specific day .......yada yada

Call today to resurve your free cut..also up sale up sale upsale.

ANY HOW if the true cost is $10 for first and $5 for every one after then if you did this to 5 houses cost would be less than $50
    assuming that you are working on your marketing.. just as many of you do and donot get paid for it...

PLEASE RESPOND let me know if im crazy!!!

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't ever give the first cut away free, what if they used you once and then told you never to come back? Personally, I don't give anything away free, this is my job, it's what pays the bills, it's how I buy everything I need and want. Nobody else gives things away free and I know I'm not. JMO. If you are going to give something away free maybe you could at least make it like the 5th or 6th cut.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

If i offer first cut free it is a guarenteed year contract no cancellation unless they pay a $150 early termination fee. CEll phones can do it, why cant we?

4. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

I agree with ECM you will get used.

It has been my experience the first cut is more work anyway. So if you are going to give away a free mow how about fourth or fifth mow.

In my area you also get a lot of Saturday scabs that drive neighborhood to neighborhood and walk up unannounced and say "Mow your lawn for $10". So if you went door to door people might start associating you with that kind of a group.

Just my two cents.
    Jeremy

5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Gopher is right, always offer free stuff after you already gotten paid for some cuts or work, never offer up front freebies

6. ul2fly

ul2fly LawnSite Member
    from tx

Thank you for your input.

I havent even started my company yet ,it will be a model company till i learn and save enuff for the equipment. I just know that the leaning curve will be easyer after ive been put to work so to speak....thats the reason for the first cut free method.

I look at it as if time is money and the chances of loosing a potential client due to .....hi your my first lawn....hehehe. Then i need to invest money in addition to the price of equipment and trailer get some real world experiance..... thats why i said 5 jobs lol

I do have alot to learn and i am excited about lawnsite.com and the folks that make it what it is..

Thank you
    P.s that was my first post and this is the first reply........experiance .....gotta start somewhere