Pricing a 4 acre yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by columbia, Aug 9, 2009.

1. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

I have done a lot of mowing/small landscaping jobs and am starting to look for bigger sites. Below is an aerial of a yard that needs mowing on a weekly (as needed) basis. Customer wants: mowing, edging, blowing etc. and occasional hedge trimming as needed. Any idea on what to charge for mowing? Right now I have a 36" with a sulky but if I get the job I will move up but use the 36" for a while. Lot is about 4 acres. I would like to know what you guys think as I usually only price smaller neighborhood lots. Would also like to know about a fertilizing program. Thanks

Capture.JPG

2. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

First things first, measure the turf and get back to us. That is not 4 acres of turf.

3. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

It is not 4 acres of turf. I have not met with the owner yet, just talked to him over the fun. I would just like to have some sort of a ball park figure so I don't look completely unproffessional when I meet with him later this week. I'd assume about 1.5-2 acres of turf.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'd do it for $150

5. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

ALC: So $600 a month. Do you do fertilizing programs? If so, could you price that as well. Thank you very much for the reply.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

One thing to think about, mowing 2 acres of grass with a 36" will take you a while. You are going to have to price it such that you are competitive with the guys that will bring 60" mowers out there.

7. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly. Someone with a 60" might could make 75.00 an hour, but you can only make 45.00. You hourly rate depends on how efficient you are.

Because if I charge 60.00 an hr, and only have a push mower. What happens when I get 2 acres, can I make 600.00 a cut. NO!

8. frotis

frotis LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like 1.5 acre

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I was shooting from the hip on the price. No one can price a property if they haven't "seen" it. A picture doesn't show how much trimming and edging is needed and the trees are covering part of the lawn, how much I don't know.
    I don't do any fert or weed control. I have a guy that only does that part. We refer each other back and forth.

I cut a first timer last week. The property has a total of 1.5 acres of grass to cut. I charged $150 for the first cut. I can knock it out in just over an hour now that I have been on the property. He's at $80 now.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is a completely unanswerable question. WAY too many variables - to the point that it is pointless to even try to ask or answer this question while in this form (of question).