Pricing a 4 acre yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by columbia, Aug 9, 2009.

1. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I personally have my house sitting on 4 acres.Here was my breakdown: I used a JD 316 garden tractor with 46" cut.My lawn is broken up into 4 areas.My driveway is dirt and about 450' long.Trimming would take 45 minutes since I have 2 retaining walls each about 50' --- so 200' of trimming(both sides).I used my 21" toro for aboy a 100x 135' area since I wanted it bagged near the flower beds and pool area to keep grass out of the house with kids running in and out with bare feet.Total time on my lawn was 6 hrs.Fast forward.I can mow the entire place now in 1hr 20 minutes compared to 4 hrs.I use a Ferris 3100 with 61" cut.

2. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

I went and looked at the place today. It is a solid 3.5-4 acres of grass. Everywhere in the picture that is covered by trees, there is grass below it. Owner only wants it edged and mowed. Nothing else. I don't want this to get into the whole "overhead" and expenses discussion but you guys that have properties this size, how long do you think this would take? I'm pretty quick and don't waste any time on a property. Do you think $150 is asking enough. I told the guy $150 rough quote and I would get him a paper quote by tomorrow and he said sounds good, just to make sure I was happy doing it for whatever price I told him. My assumption is that with a 52" mower, I could have that done in under an hour and a half. Seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If you have to cut around all those trees, I'd figure that you will be able to cut about 1.25 acres per hour with the 36". So it will probably take you 3 hours to mow then you have to add on the edging and trimming time. So $150 seems a little low for 3.5+hours of work, so you'd be grossing around $40/hr.

4. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. I'm in the market for a 52" ztr at the moment. Assuming I had one, do you still think $150 is too low? What would you bid based on what you know?

5. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

1.5-2 acres, arund here about 80-100

6. marcuslawnguy

marcuslawnguy LawnSite Member

150 would not be bad if you had two big zero turns running at the same time for a full blown cut and trim. but by yourself with a small mower big jobs without the big mower can really cut into what you could be making doing other jobs. How many 40-50 dollar jobs could you knock out in the amount of time you will be on this job? Just some food for thought. You said that you may get a 52" and with that remember fuel costs. I got my 61 turf tiger and yes it's quick and all but fuel has to be considered. Big mowers can fool you if your not careful because it's easy to underbid jobs because of the speed. Small mower you will be on site for 4-6 hours easily. 52 and up zero turn 1.5-2 hours if your moving with a sense of urgency with the trimming and all.

7. marcuslawnguy

marcuslawnguy LawnSite Member

Almost forgot I have had jobs like this before ranging anywhere from 160-225$. However with jobs like this the customer is willing to pay when you arrive with the right equipment because of the quality and guarantee that the job will be done right every time. Most customers with lots like this will not even want to go over a $100 if you show up with a knife to a gun fight. I'm not ragging on you just trying to help out. the guarantee I'm talking about is if there is extra rain, that can make a job like this turn into a nightmare with a underpowered machine. That is one reason I went with the bigblock turftiger for encountering situations like this on big accounts. lol

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i agree make sur you have the right equipment. i would say from $100 to $150

9. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would say $180 to $200 and I would get a 60Inch ztr you can get more done with a 60 or 74 then a 52 and thats money in your pocket.

10. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I really do appreciate it. I sent off the quote this evening for $180 per cut and we'll see what happens.