pricing a big, full time job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by graylady, Aug 24, 2004.

1. graylady

graylady LawnSite Member

can someone tell me how to value a job, small and large. I am looking at a guard base and would like to present a fair price for the work - full time - 37 acres, alot of buildings and alot of lawn and gardens - can you help?????
  2. lawnmowermannh

lawnmowermannh LawnSite Member

Not enough info... 37 acres is huge assuming every square foot is maintained. Get a property maintanence outline describing what is expected of you. ie. Lawmowing, trimming, mulching, pruning, weeding spring and fall clean ups Lawn treatments, dumping fees. do the lawns have sprinkler systems? Is the terrain hilly or flat.
    After you get your outline you can figure on an average how many man hours it will take to maintain one acrer based on the equipment you have. and of course charge for materials & delivery charges. Good luck

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Do you have the equipment to do this job or are you buying it? How many people will be helping you? What is you labor rate? What is you overhead? What percent of profit do you want? How much of each thing is there to do and how long do you take to do it? Take all of these numbers and you should be able to come up with a price.
    From reading you profile it sounds like you are not a LCO at this time. Are you doing this as a business or a hobby? Is this contract open to other bidders or do you have an inside track.
    This is a lot of work and if you are off just a little on you figures it will be very easy to go broke. Be careful. Spend a lot of time to do the measure and measure every edge-bush-bed-turf area-trim area. Do you know how long it takes to do all the work?
    Be very careful with this because it is much better to make money in front of a computer than to go broke working you butt off in the field.

Good luck.
  4. graylady

graylady LawnSite Member

thank you both very much - yes, i am new to the business but not to the work. They are providing all the equipment and it will be my full time job - i have been doing quite a bit of the trimming, weeding and flowers for two years as volunteer work. your answers gave me alot to work into a proposal and will be a huge help. if this doesn't pan out, i may just go into smaller yards and buy some equipment. we will see, probably soon. thanks agian.