Pricing a Condo Complex

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kgrebs, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Kgrebs

Kgrebs LawnSite Member

I have the opportunity to bid on a contract for a 14 unit condo complex. This is a girst for me seeing we are primarily residential with very little commercial. Can anyone with condo experience give me some hints as to what questions to ask as I walk the grounds? Does anyone have any watch out for this points I should be aware of? And lastly, those who do complexes including snow removal and sanding, do you get a monthly fee to spread out your bill throughout the year? Thanks for the help!
  2. amar

amar LawnSite Member

Condo's and apartments are a pain. I had one for two seasons big $$ however they are a huge liability kids everywhere, so many windows my crew broke $350 + each year. We were their window replacment program. Every window that turned up broken was our fault. Cut them in the AM
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I like my apartment complex jobs. Pay us 12 monthly payments for 7 months work. We broke 3 windows in 4 years. Only paid for half of last one. The shrub beds are all rock. And you know how little kids like to drag rocks out in the grass.
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

One thing we do is make an initial walk through of the property and notate any dead/dying shrubs,trees,turf,broken sidewalks/curbs,etc.., and make a presentation of the fact findings to the property manager. They sign off on pre-existing conditions before we take the contract. This covers your a$$ down the road from liability issues that may arise from associations/condos/HOAs. Detail your findings in an orderly fashion,.. also if there are really bad existing conditions like broken curbs/windows/drains, take pictures for reference and put them with your contract in a file. Some associations think once they sign a landscape contractor, it's carte blanche for all the neglected things around the property, and will try to squeeze every dime from you that they can. Cover yourself, bid high enough to make it worth your while, and offer the best service you promised to. Keep in continuous contact, and keep a finger on the pulse of your commercial contracts to avoid shopping around for a new LCO next year.You can learn volumes by listening.Good luck!
  5. firekilr2

firekilr2 LawnSite Member

Just bid it high enough to do a good job. Because if you dont do a good job it is 14 customers instead of just one. This can be hard to do. Ask alot about what expectations are. I request a meeting with residents and try to find out what they want before I except the job. Possibly suggest they have a landscaping committee so complaints can be funneled though them. you dont want to deal with the homeowners. It is a good job to have because no travel time. Gas 2.00 gallon. Good luck.
  6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Impact and firekill hit this one on the head. Just find out what they expect, bid accordingly, and keep them happy. Remember condos are home owners, only it takes just 1 to stir up a hornets nest. At the same time you have multiple customers in one stop to pass your name on to friends and potential customers, ie; cheap advertising.