Pricing a fence

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turfquip, Jan 14, 2005.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Was wondering about pricing a fence job for a client. This would be a simple wood post and 3 rail system. Rough sawn lumber (available in bundles here locally)

The site seems easy to work as far as grade but there will be at least some rock encountered. The overall field is 3 acres.

I don't need to lowball it, but can't justify more than the local fence company is getting either.

Ideas?

2. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd start by calling the local fence company and asking what they charge.

3. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, that's the obvious thing to do but it's a little sleazy. i don't like being probed so i hate doing it to others

4. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not being sleazy at all. I didn't say to lie. I've worked with a local fence company. The first time I called them I told them I was inquiring to see if a job was worth subcontracting to them. They gave me a price which allowed for markup and I used it in my bid. What's sleazy about that?

5. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I would mark up the upplies by 15%. Also would u need a post hole digger bc u would need to figure that into ur cost.Let me know what u decide on bc i am interested in what to charge for this also

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We work with a fence company as well, I let them do everything but split rail. We add materials plus 15%, rental of post hole digger (Dingo works well), labor for your crew(probably dig all holes in one day, 2 days for install), cleaunup time, etc. Add these numbers up, add % for profit and submit bid.
    Why worry about lowballing or not being higher than someone else? Give the customer YOUR PRICE that you need to get to make a profit and be done with it. Worry about your company's bottom line not what others think of you. If your price is low, but you make money it does'nt mean you are a lowballer, maybe you have a much lower overhead than some and your cost of doing business is lower thats all. payup

Chris

7. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

I think Chris hit the nail on the head!