Pricing a timber retaining wall installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SageDesignLM, Mar 14, 2012.

1. SageDesignLM

SageDesignLM LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I am looking for some rough guidelines on pricing a timber retaining wall installation. I have done a few block walls but was paid by the hour but now need to estimate. Any help would be appreciated. I just do not want to under-estimate. The wall is approximately 80' long with 8' runs at a 90 degree angle at both ends and 3.5' high. So approximately 96' x 3.5'. I have accumulated all of the materials costs ($2562 my costs). My questions are:

1. Should I mark up the materials? If so what %

2. As a one person job how long should the job take?

3. What is a reasonable amount to charge per hour based on the time to complete.

4. Is there as standard rate such as $12 per sq ft? in this case that would be 339 sq ft (surface sq ft) x $12 = $4032.

Thanks in advance.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I assume your talking about 6x6x8 treated ties. Something doesn't add up. Either wood is real cheap in VA or your pretty far off. A quick calculation of proper construction methods put my wood cost at almost 4k, that's before stone, pipe, fabric, spikes, saw blades, excavation, or any labor.

Otherwise your price should = Desired profit + overhead.

3. SageDesignLM

SageDesignLM LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. a #2 6x6x8 runs approx. $15-$18 in my area (no mark up). Based on that I figured approx 90 6x6x8s for the job (includes 3 deadman). That comes to approx $1600 +/- for the lumber, am I way off on the timber requirement?? Thanks

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

You are only putting 3 dead heads on an 80' wall?

5. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i came up with 105 timbers, 300 timber lock screws, soc pipe, 57 gravel, 24" rebar to anchor first layer, definately need more that 3 dead men and I would use a cross dead man in the middle.If your working by yourself and are able to use euipment to excavate and backfill and move material close to work area. i bet it will take 5 days from pulling up to brooming drive and collect check.

6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

whats a dead head?

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

You need at least 5 dead mans in that 80' run in the third row

You cant talk them into a block wall them timbers is a thing of the past They will rot away
    I havent done a Timberwall for probably 12-15 yrs

If I cant talk them in Blocks I pass on the job block wall might cost 2x more but in long run
    Build a timber wall and say 10 yrs later its looking bad bottom row is roten Time for new wall Block wall always be there and if you had to fix it a block wall will come apart unlike a timber wall

Good luck on your wall

8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I meant dead men not dead head. I didn't realize it.

9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

At a minimum the deadman should be every 8'. I personally would run every 4' staggered, but local soil conditions have a fair amount to play in that. There is something nice about a proper wood wall. Of course though an improper one is a total nightmare too.

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I cant find the 4k in cost mentioned. About half that, Id say.