Pricing Breakdown

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Popsicle, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Do you guys show the hours and your rate on your bids or just the total dollar amount?

2. viper88

viper88 LawnSite Member

We never show the hourly rate. Price by the job only.

3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here...price by job only...we never break it down into estimated man hours because if we finish ahead of schedule we'd rather not put up with the hassle of being asked to lower the price because it took less time than expected etc....

:blob3:

4. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

By the job only. No rates and no hours on the bid. Gives the customer to much to shop around for.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I never give out the hourly rate. Also, when pricing jobs with multiple tasks, I'll break the prices down to catagories

6. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick response! I'm rewriting my bids right now!

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Giving price per hour rates can result in sticker shock for many customers.

8. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried it both ways. I like to give a total price, but some of my comercial accounts want rates and hours.

I think that is a pretty good idea if you are taking bids from someone. You can get an idea of who is closer to target with the time factor. I took estimates for a tree removal I was handling for one of my accounts, one company was saying it was an 8hr job one said a few hours. It gave me a better idea of who knew what they were doing and who wasn't.

I lost a small sodding job last year for one of my accounts because the customer thought my bid was too low and got another guy to do it. I figured it was under 8 hrs just by myself. I was there doing the mulch when he was doing the sod, I didn't really want the job so i didn't care. When I talked to him he said it was going to take him almost 2 days to do it, he had it done in about 6 hrs. If they had asked for hours and rates they would have firgured out that I was charging reasonable rates and he was charging like 10/hr or something, and maby their grass would be alive today.

anyway...Just thought it might come in handy if you ever do any sub-contracting.

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing we bid hourly are clean-ups. If a client doesn't like the $/hr amount & wants a firm price, I will stop out & give an estimate based on the amount of manhours I think the job will take, plus the travel & dump fee. I try to avoid this because we have a large volume of accounts,and it would take a lot of time for me to "estimate" all of these jobs. Also, the weather factors can change the job by 20-25% depending on the conditions (wind, rain, etc..)
    For stone walls, patios, etc... give your price and do not give an exact amount of product. For example, you may choose to say for $XXXX.XX we'll install APPROXIMATELY ____ linear feet of wall ___ feet high or APPROXIMATELY _______ sq. ft. of pavers.
    Good luck

Bob

10. Ditto BOBBY.............:D

I give set prices when weather doesn't effect me so much, like aeration, seeding, fertilization, weed control, etc......Some landscaping.

But shrub trimming, tree trimming, leaf removal and stuff like that, I give hourly.