1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Fall Cleanups $$ ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jccordes2, Aug 16, 2004.

1. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

What are the best methods for pricing fall leaf cleanups. I live in Minnesota. my areas are all heavily treed. any suggestions would be great !! also, is it a one time bid,? wait till all leaves fall? then do the clean up?
  2. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I price by the hour. I try to estimate high and give a range. Repeat customers are easier to figure, I just go by the price for previous year and any notes that I've made regarding how long the job took, good customer or PITA etc. It usually make 2-4 visits to each property. I think this method helps to keep the leaves from getting too matted, keeps the prop looking nicer, keeps the work load light and spreads out the payments for the customer. Also where I am from if I wait till all the leaves are down then I might not get it done before they're buried in snow.

Leaves are the trickiest thing I've ever bid on, especially for first time customers. I think this is why some people on lawnsite have listed leaves as their least favorite thing.

I love the work, love the money and love the season.
  3. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply remsen1

what do you typically charge per hour on fall cleanups?
  4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to charge $30 per hour using a rake, tarp, and a hand held blower. This year I have an Echo 650 and I'm planning on charging $40-$45. I'll be charging more per hour cause I'm getting more done. A job that took 2 hours before might take only 1.5 hours now. Same job, slightly higher price (inflation), higher hourly rate through efficiency. Last year I charged $60 for this example property; this year I'll charge $65.
  5. New Leaf Lawn Care

New Leaf Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I am in Wisconsin and I go by the hour $30. I agree estimating new ones is tricky and you never know what the wind is going to blow in on the day your doing it. I just try to guesstimate how long it is going to take. Try to figure what the least amount of time it will take you and the most amount of time and maybe give the potential customer a range.

If anything and they want a quote (a set price) I try to come up with a price I feel makes it worth while no matter how long it takes. Within reason of course, I don't want to be raking snow...
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Just curious, but surely I am not the only on ethat does leaf cleanup by using the mower and bagger?
  7. Accounts that heavily treed chargeing by the man hour is what i do . And i charge for the debree hauled off.
  8. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

That's how I do fall clean-up with my John Deere mower & bagger. I found the best way for me to do it is first take the bagger off and then mow the lawn to shred all the leaves. Once I do this, I put the bagger on and pick up the shreded leaves. This way, the bags fill up less often and it compacts alot easier in the truck. I try to avoid raking whenever possible. On my bigger lawns, I use my JD along with the cyclone rake.
  9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you. Why use a rake? I like to mulch it then go back and bag up whats left with my bagger, that way Im not hauling all of it away.
  10. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

$30 per hr is way to low esp on leaves which is hard on euipment and very very time and labor consuming , no less than $50 a hr here and some we get $ 65 per hr depending on job.Dont kill yourself and your euipment for pennies on the dollar