1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing for 22" Storm?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by JasonPC, Feb 7, 2001.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

HI, everyone! Well, I've got a question for all of you. I've been snow plowing for 5 years and for most of my driveways I charge between $30-$45 for 1 to 6 inches. Anything over six I charge between $5/inch to $7/inch. Well, I've never had to plow 22 inches before like I did yesterday!! I feel sort of uncomfortable charging a $30 customer $110 to plow. This per inch policy I have over 6" is new for this year. I was out for 20 hours plowing this storm and had to hire an employee that I paid $175. Normally, I hire no one and am out 5 hours by myself. What are you all going to charge for this storm? And what do you think is fair for me to do? Thanks in advance!!

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

That $30 customer should be charged the $110. You have to remember... the more snow there is on the ground, the harder it is on your equipment and your truck. If that's the way it was in the contract, by all means, that is fair. Could you imagine having to shovel all that snow? The spine replacement surgery would be a whole lot more than $110!!! Besides, let's say you went out 3-or-4 times to plow instead of waiting till the end... it would be right in the same price range.

Just my opinion.

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

22" storm

3 visits maybe 4. 4 visits, average a push every 5 inches or so.

$ 30 dollars per push 1-6. = 90 to 110 dollars.

110 is fair.

4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Tim.When your truck breaks down your $30 customer will want to know nothing just when you will have them plowed out.Don't feel to bad for them becuse they don't feel bad about you belive me even the nicest people are like that.
  5. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

At first it may seem high, but it is not out of line. Yes there is a lot of wear and tear on the equipment. There is also wear and tear on the human body. In this case 2. I assume the 2nd person was the shovel guy doing the sidewalks and cleaning out in front of the garage doors.

Please don't send 22" of snow to us here in Mid Michigan.
  6. allabout

allabout LawnSite Member

I agree DO NOT feel uncomfortable charging $110 for 22"

You worked 3- 4 times harder then with 6" when it's time to replace ball joints or tie rods/brakes or what ever this is what that $110 per drive is for I would send the bill if they call tell them this.

(Here in IL. we had 15" in Dec. & no snow in Jan.)
  7. gardin2124

gardin2124 LawnSite Member

Maybe you could give some sort of explanation on your billing like the other guys said...22" divided by 5" equals 4 plows @ $30.00 per visit would have been $120.00. When we had a severe snow storm (20")here in northern Indiana a couple of years ago guys with skid steers were charging $125.00 per hour. One place we did that storm we ended charging them $1,000.00 for just one plowing. Another apartment complex we did that storm was $12,500!!! That was sidewalks,salt,plowing and hauling the piles away.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Am I missing something? It took me 3 hours additional to do my 40 residentials over a 7 inch storm (avg 20" this time). Including sidewalks. All but 4 complicated drives were done in 1 visit. Those 4 were done a quick, rough job at 8" to remove the bulk of the snow. I charged all residentials 50% over the base rate. The bulk of the extra time was at the commercial lots, two had to be done twice, the big one (seasonal price account)sections were done a few times and one final cleanup early Tue morning. No additional charge for the biggie as it is a one price seasonal the way they wanted it (no problem by me I am justly compensated the rest of the year).

If I ever billed a 30 residential 110 for a storm it would be the last time I ever plowed there (and probably wouldnt see my money).
  9. allabout

allabout LawnSite Member

How many times did you (jasonpc) plow these customer @
    20" I would have to say maybe 3-4 times @ 5" rate. If you plowed 4 times for the customer (per push contract 1"-6")
    I would bill four times to the customer.
    On seasonal contract I think blizzard clause would need to be in the contract to charge more (my seasonal pay very well and have never needed blizzard clause but it is in the contrat) Do what you think is right if you did a great job the customer should know your price is fair.

3 pushes @ $35 per visit =$105
    4pushes @ $30 per visit = $120

(1"-5" @ $ per visit)
    (5"-10" @ $ per visit)
    ( $ per 2" over 10")
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I bill a 30 dollar drive at 45 for 8" or more,and 60 for 12" or more.I have never let any of them go over 1 ft,when we had our 22" in december,I did then all 3 times.The best advice i can give is dont push 22" at a time,its not good for your truck,and if the customer had to get out in an emergency they couldnt.If i was to plow 22" at a time,I would likely get 90-100 for it,but I make it clear to my customers that Im coming every 5-8 in a big storm.Ive got messed time wise alst storm at a commercial account and by the time i got to residentials they had 10".Maybe you need to get a sub lined up for next year-it sounds like you have taken on more than you can chew in a big storm.