Pricing for clearing brush & small trees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blmarlin, May 5, 2003.

1. blmarlin

blmarlin LawnSite Member

Hey there, I have a job I'm bidding that involves clearing brush, small trees and leaves from a rather large area. I'd say its probably 1/4 to 1/2 acre. Would it be better to charge by the hour? If so what would I charge? Or what other suggestions on pricing do I have? Also do you pass on the dump fees to the customer? Thanks in advance.

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

What is your client going to be doing with the area? DEFINATELY investigate the rental of a wood chipper. Probably also you should look into getting a full size TLB out there. How many people will you have working there?

3. blmarlin

blmarlin LawnSite Member

The customer is selling the home and justs wants the area cleared. I'm a one man show, but will be hiring some help for this job. If it matters the client is in a upscale neighborhood with million dollar plus homes. I just don't want to sell myself short. Thanks again.

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Do it by the day if you are new to this type of work.

5. Old 5 LawnCare

Old 5 LawnCare LawnSite Member

Find a clearing company in your area and have them give you a bid, add 15%. Your done!

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Land clearing companies won't touch that kind of thing. They MIGHT bring in a hydro-axe for you, but they are gonna get a LOT of money for it. Also they will not get rid of the old leaves and small twigs out of there.

7. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I'd tell them you want to be paid by the hour or day(8hrs) since you can't exactly figure out how long it wil take. $50 per hr for yourself and helper. If you can find some cheap help you'll be doiing alright!:D

8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Honestly, don't touch this job unless you have access to: a wood chipper with at least a 9" capacity, a TLB (preferably full size) and at least a good size 6 wheel dump truck. 10 wheeler would be better. (for removing leaves and stumps)

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

This type of work can be very time consuming unless you have help. Might contact a labor service and line up general labor workers to load limbs, leaves, and debris.
    I have a tractor and a stump grinder just for this type work and I would charge $100.00 an hour for me and 2 labors with a 10 hr minimum. $50.00 hr. for the tractor (working hours only). Stump grinding charge by the stump depending on the size of the stump. If you are cutting medium size trees, I would charge a price per tree in addition to any other charges.
    Remember...if you can't make money at this, it will not be worth fooling with. At the prices above you will have a decent bottom line.
    Try to put 1K in your pocket per full day on this type work.

You could just give a day rate of about $1300.00 but you must be efficient at the work. 2 1/2 days tops to complete.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would be quite careful in bidding this kind of work if you have not done it before. This will require tools you may or may not have such as: chipper, chipper box (don't want to leave the chips on the ground, brush trimmer (trimmer with blades for cutting brush), chainsaw, stump grinder or tractor if the stumps must be pulled, dump truck for hauling the waste and walk behind brush cutter (like the older Gravely tractors). I would go with an hourly rate or daily rate until you know how to size these projects up. Best of luck to you and the finished product always makes it worth it.

Gravely_Man