pricing for clearing brush

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bayfish, Jun 29, 2003.

1. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Customer has 9400 sq.ft. area of woods and wants the brush cleared out. Looks like it can be done with a stihl f85 trimmer with brushcutter blade attachment. How would you quote a price for this?

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I think we need a little more information. Are you just cutting the brush or are you pulling all the stumps/roots? Are there a lot of trees/rocks? How thick is the brush and what diameter?

I usually just use my tractor and 5 foot bushhog and cut anything I can't get to with the handheld and blade. Mowing is nice because it grinds everything up and there is little or nothing to gather and haul off. So you may want to rent a mower...for an area that size you could rent an Outback or DR field and brush mower.

I'd probably get a few hundred bucks for the job but would have to see it to give an accurate estimate.

3. bayfish

Thanks for the response...too many large trees to get tractor and 5ft. bushhog in. I have one of those too. The smaller brush needs to be cut and hauled away.

4. bayfish

Darryl...How is the JD 855? I have a MF 1428V 4x4 with blade and bushhog. Seems to have plenty of power for a compact. They're putting Jap diesels in them. Ever heard of Iseka diesel? Big drawback not being a hydro. Thinking about getting a bucket for the front.

5. bayfish

Stumps and roots stay. Just going to cut even with ground.

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would charge by the hour.

I usually charge $50.00 per man hour for light brush clearing. Don't forget to let the customer agree to pay the dump fees. Brush is not that heavy so the fees won't be to bad but could reduce your bottom line if you have very many loads.

If you want to just give a set price for everything......I would go up to the $75.00 - $100.00 per man hour.

I have also give a service fee to cover dump fees + an hourly rate. For example: $100.00 service fee + $50.00 per man hour. With 2 experienced workers the first hour would be $200.00 and $100.00 per hour after the first hour.

Some markets won't pay this price but IMO its worth every bit of it.

Hope this helps..........

7. Darryl G

The 855 is a nice machine but a little light on horse power. Hydro is the way to go! It's got a Yanmar 24 HP diesel but only 19.5 HP at the PTO, which is a bit low for implements like a Harley rake or wood chipper.

8. bayfish

Darryl, You got a lot of stuff for a 12' trailer. Do you transport your 855 on it? The MF 1428 barely fits on my 16' with bushhog attached.

9. Darryl G

Bayfish - Yeah, I transport the 855 on my trailer, but only with the loader and rake. I rent a trailer if I need to haul it with the hoe or mower or just run it down the road if it's local. A bigger trailer is on the wish list...probably an 18 footer.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the walk behind brush cutter if you can rent one and use it on the property you are clearing. I have an older Gravely walk behind with a 30" deck and heavy brush blade for just such work.

Gravely_Man