pricing for family

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, May 19, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

What do most of you do with pricing for family. Product and hourly rates. I'm doing a big landscape project for my wifes aunt and uncle that includes plants, trees, mulch, large brick retaining walls. My normal rate is $50.00 per hour. With my contractors discount I am paying 75% less than regular consumers on landscape material. What should I mark it up if anything. Should I just work for my hourly rate and charge them my price for material??????;)

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Cut for mom,that's IT!
    LOL!
    Good luck...................

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

free or not at all

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I mow for my mom, grandma, and aunt. They are all small props, so I just give them my $25 minimum. As for full landscape jobs, I can't see giving much of a discount.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I only do my parents and grandmothers...try not to do family or friends though. Can turn bad

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Any price is to much......to family. They will tell you that they want to pay like everyone else until the invoice is in their hand. Then you will be the lowest form of life on the face of this earth for charging them a ridiculous price.............Been there...it is not on my top 10 list of most favorite things to do.

Back out while your still ahead. Friends, Family and your fellow church members will bankrupt you if you let them.

I am not being funny man.........don't do it.

O-O

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

FAMILY IS FREE OR NOT AT ALL.

8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

only way to do it...

9. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Free or (like everyone forgot) for a humble supply of an adult beverage.

It works for my in-laws and for me.

Plus materials of course.

10. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

i dont know about free......i know its a family thing but, he has never had a problem charging me or my wife $$ for his services at his business!!!!!! he owns a machine shop that also does car repairs. He's charged my wife a good amount for stuff shes had done. I just look at it as fair is fair...its business. But its also family.........why cant things just be easy....:eek: