Pricing for Fert

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by clallen03, Mar 13, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

How do you price for fert? Does it have anything to do with the price of a cut?

If I charge $45 a cut what would you charge for fert?

Im just trying to come up with a price range for a fert program for my customers.

2. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

You need to have an applicators license for pesticides. Don't find out the hard way that it isn't worth the risk to do fert or pesticides without the proper certification. Your fines will outway any profit that you would have for several years.
  3. robbs99

robbs99 LawnSite Member

You don't need a license to apply just fert!
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, but if you're going to do any sort or typeof fert. program, weed control goes hand in hand with that. On top of that, the ability identify any types of disease, insect damage, and any other conditions are an intricate part of the program as well. It has always been my standing and it always will be...let the guys who do that and specialize in that take care of that.
  5. clallen03

Look, my question is what is the charge of a fert application in relation to the cost per cut? I really dont need a lecture about being certified. I already know I need to be certified apply pesticides. Im not asking about that.

Please if you can help with the question it would be greatly appreicated. If you dont want to answer the question just dont reply at all.

Thanks a bunch.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is no definitive answer to this. The fert. price SURE don't have anything to do with the mowing price, except for the aspect of sq. footage and the amount of turf area. With fert., there are certain things to considef, and with mowing there are even more things to consider - when it comes to pricing. For instance, access, amount of trimming, etc. all fall into play.
  7. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Laying fertilizer without IPM training can bee murky water. Its always good to have credentials behind you when using or spreading any kind of lawn chemicals. I know many companies that sub contract it on a commission basis, which without propper training is the best bet. It is supprisingly easy to "burn out" a lawn. I've seen homeowners do it with consumer commodity fertilizer.
  8. Absolute Weed C

Absolute Weed C LawnSite Member

If Simple Pricing is what you are after then this works.
    Price per pound of Fert,,,, Then time to apply 1000sqft,,,, Times the time against your hourly rate,,,, Then add 30%. -------Example
    price per pound .36 it takes you .07 to cover 1000sqft then time .07 x $35.00,
    You use 3.6 lbs for 1000sqft. so thats .36 x 3.6= $1.30 + your time=2.47 then add 30%.
    I get $3.65 per 1000 for fert then I have to add WC in the same way.
    Its a simple measure but works ok.
  9. clallen03

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Im still a bit confused about how you priced that 1000 sqft job. You said you get $3.65 per 1000 for fert. 1000 what? You aren't talking sqft are you? That seems extremely low. I dont think you can even buy fert for that cheap.

Can you explain that to me again.

10. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

i'm getting lebanon 22-0-6 pre m for 13.75 a 50lb bag, which is 12.5k square feet. that's about a dollar / k feet.