pricing for fertilizing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigcountry01, Jan 16, 2007.

1. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

hello, im new on the site. ive only been in business for about a year and mostly just do mowing,mulching,and bush trimming. im wanting to expand and build my business as much as possible this year so im am going to offer other services. I live in east tennessee and here we put down a slow release fertilizer (turfbuilder) in late february. Just wandering how to price this?? hourly rate +materials?? these will mostly all be small/midsized residential yards in subdivisions. anyother advice on this topic would be great as well. thanks alot in advance guys!

2. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

here, what we charge to mow the yard, is what we charge to fertilize that yard. unless the price of the fert is almost as much as the yard, then we just double the cost.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's really hard to say..depending on the costs. The main thing is about fertilization and te lawn care aspect of the industry, is that one of the most important things that customers are concerned with, is weed control. This is usually their biggest concern even over how green the grass is. Unfortunately, without the ability to treat weeds or things like insect and disease control, your working with your hands tied behind your back. You are so limited at doing an effective job, that it just becomes a half flanked effort.

4. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

any other ideas? thanks for your input guys

5. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

well if they are small lawns i dont see a problem with charging the same you do to but it plus the fertilizer

example:
    if you charge $25 to cut and the bag of fertilizer costs $5 then i would charge $30..it will be a hell of a lot easier than cutting the grass!

or you can charge by the sq. ft. or per 500 sq. ft....u get the idea (idk how much you would need to charge per square foot)

6. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

I charge what ever the price of the fertilizer bag times 2. Example if it cost me $20 a bag I charge $40.