1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing for maintenance contract??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by spieritz, Sep 6, 2007.

1. spieritz

spieritz LawnSite Member

I have been in business for 2 years now.......I have a small landscaping company, and stick to landscaping......no sod, no mowing(I hate mowing my own yard), just planting/design/smaller hardscape. Business is really picking up!!! I have the chance of getting a pretty big job, which will be ongoing maintenance and planting at a senoir citizen assited living center. It is about 30 acres with buildings, houses, a pond, etc.... a real nice place for the elderly. Anyways, the majority of it will be trimming,pruning,weeding,mulching the existing landscaping. They want me to make a contract and a price for the year. SHould I just give them an estimate say, i will be there twice a week with 2 guys each day and it will cost this much a week without materials......just a flat rate an hour plus any materials I use? Ex. $40.00 an hour for two guys a day. ????? I usually add 35% to the materials, plus mark up materials, and then add a small profit.......I'm not sure how to approach the maintenance.........was this clear at all......I'm still asleep :hammerhead:
  2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Figure out what you'd charge each time for being there and then multiply that by the number of estimated trips to the job. Figure out how much you'll spend on materials in that time and price that the way you always do too. I'm finding more and more that people don't like that a la carte pricing. They like to have a set price and pay you the same every month. In the end its better for you and them. I'm in the process of changing all of my account over to this.
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

as stated above, they will be looking for a set price so it can be budgeted. that said you may want to pass, as tempting as it is for a small company to put so many eggs in one basket can be dangerous. These companies typically put out bids every year, can be late on paying, or just drop you mid season.

you really have to know your production numbers to bid without losing your shirt or have them reject your bid because its too high. a company does a similar complex near here and they come in with 4-5 trucks, 3 enclosed trailers, a JD gator and at least 10 employee's, but they are gone in about 1-2 hours and always do maintenance while the mowing is going on.
  4. spieritz

spieritz LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information.