pricing for relatives

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gmcplowtruck, Apr 30, 2007.

1. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

okay im young and have a **** load of good equipment my cousin works for another land scaper i offered to hire him and give him bonuses for every job he gets me he said i wasnt paying enough so here we are him geting jobs for himself and then telling me to help him and let him use my equipment i dont mind because its weekends and he will help me if he can but i need a pricing scale so theres no guesing what hell give me
    this weekend i worked with him 3 hrs in the rain preping beds for mulch then sunday i spent 12 hrs doing the mulch because of it being sunday not to many supply yards open so i hauled 2 truck loads of 11 yds mulch 20 miles each way and then got back and wheeled barreled and spread the mulch he paid me $200 we used my new dump chainsaw 2 of my blowers hedge trimerspole trimersrakes pitch forks and wheel barrels all mine

i dont want to rip him off but i dont want to get ripped off either please help with a pricing scale i can give him thanks

2. Are you familiar with the phrase cut and run.

3. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

So you spent 15 hours working, used your truck and burnt your fuel, used all your portable equipment, and got $200? That works out to a little over $13 per hour........by the time you deduct your fuel costs you could flip hamburgers and make more money!

Helping family is one thing but it's entirely another to be grossly taken advantage of, and that's what you have allowed to happen. You're wearing out your equipment and getting nothing for it........you should have been making 4 or 5 times what you were, or more.

So he was complaining you don't pay enough for him to work for you, but he had no problem getting 15 hours worth of help & all equipment furnished for $200? I think it may be time to just say no.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

First of all, please use punctuation.
    Secondly, he is taking advantage of you. Do not be a chump. End it NOW!!!! You should also let him know that you are wise to the crap he is pulling and that you are nobody's b!tch. Take a stand.

5. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Your cousin ought to be arrested for robbing you!!!!!!

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Set an hourly rate with him. If you are useing all your equipment, charge him a rate of 35.00 an hour.

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

forget about deducting gas what about depreciation, taxes, insurance, interest. You paid him to work that day. You didn't get crap.

for you your truck and tools should be no less than 35/hour. and tell him you liked to get kissed before you get f@cked.

8. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

First rule of business....."Don't work with or for family." (Unless he's your dad). You are currently in a no win situation so get out now, while you still have the shirt on your back.

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Agreed. Just tell him that it is all your equipment and if he doesn't like working for you, then he needs to get all his own equipment to take care of "his" clients.

10. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice guys so if he does need my help you think 35 hr is fair how about to use my skidloader or hauling loads in my dump