pricing formula

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brickman, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you have a formula for how you price? Like a price per square foot?
    If I know the sq. ft. I can give a price fairly quickly. I still like to look at a property before quoting a firm price, for such things as small areas, tons of things to trim around.

I price at $0.003 per sq. ft. That doesn't hold true for small lawns. You have to have a low minimum, but when you get to say 10,000 and over the price works good. When you get to real big square footages, then you can go down on that too, like to $0.0025. When the property is open and requires little trimming I will go down too, especially if I want the job bad.

I have heard in some areas around Denver Co. and Loveland Co. they price at $0.004. That must be nice.

Thank you for your input.

We are not in this business for our health!!

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

must be nice, i have a 1.25 acre property that i am getting $70 for. .003 is double that.

3. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

formulas work well for things like basic maint. but they are near impossible for hedges (at least for me anyhow).. but here is the formula for most any regular maint job. for my example i'll use a 50' x 100' rectangular lot mowed with a 21" mower...

1. (width x 12) / 15 = number of rows
    2. number of rows x length = linear feet
    3. linear feet / 352 (4 mph) = linear travel time (mow)
    4. number of initial turns = 8
    5. {[8 + (number of rows x 2)]8 secs}/60=time spent turning
    6. linear travel time + time spent turning = total time mowing
    7. perimeter / 125 = time edging

add all that up plus your time for any obsticales (10 seconds each) plus time to empty a bagger (if you have one) 45 seconds per 500 sqft.. plus time spent walking from truck location to mow site x 6 ... that should do it

4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Aielandscaping, the going rate along the Front Range of CO and south east WY for hedge trimming is $35 per man hour. I have found that to be pretty good income. But I hate doing hedges, so I avoid it or subcontract it out when ever I can.
    Thanks for your input.

MikeLT1Z28 I wish I could help you. I do feel for you, because around here that wouldn't even be breaking even. But I have mowed for that sort of price when I first started, just be able to keep busy.

We are not in this business for our health!