Pricing help and opinions...

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by chariot, May 23, 2002.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I posted this in the commercial forum but thought I may target the right people here. I am wondering if these are good prices and which would be the best for the money. Local Exmark dealer has Lazer 60" 23 HP Kohler with new canister filter in stock, I can get for $7989 out the door. Prices on other units (all 60") are: 25HP Kohler $8399, 25HP Kawasaki $8599. The 25HP Kohler will have canister filter also. The 25HP prices are without tax. My main question is, would I regret not getting the 2 extra HP? Do you guys feel it is worth the near $1000 more when tax is added for the difference? Also, I was just reading through old post and read that the 2002 model was/is not available with 23 Kohler. Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey chariot,

From a factory perspective, all of the prices that you quoted are fair. You (and your fellow LS.com members) have to determine whether or not they are "good prices" for your geographical area.

To answer your main questions, I don't know if you're really going to "regret" purchasing the 23-hp 60", instead of the 25-hp 60". According to the engine spec's provided by Kawasaki and Kohler, there is not a big jump in the maximum torque production from the 23-hp Kawasaki (39.8 ft.-lbs.) to the 25-hp Kaw. (41.3 ft.-lbs.). The displacement of both of those engines is the same at 41.2 cu. in.

There is, however, more of a difference between the 23-hp and 25-hp Kohler. The 23-hp is 41.10 cu. in., and the 25-hp is 44.00 cu. in. The maximum torque production of the 23 is approximately 33 ft.-lbs., and the max torque of the 25 Kohler is 40 ft.-lbs.

I could bore you all day with numbers, but numbers and statistics don't always equate to the performance in the field. I'm a big fan of horsepower, so I would probably go with either the 25-hp Kohler or the 25-hp Kawasaki, especially if you're going to go with the 60" deck. The Kohler has a bit of an edge right now, because it comes with the canister air filter. Eventually, the Kawasaki engines will make their canister air filter available to the public, but you'll have to pay for it.

Finally, the 2002 60" Lazer Z is not offered with the 23-hp Kawasaki engine. We still put the 23-hp Kohler on our '02, 60" Lazer Z's. If you have any other questions or comments, feel free to create another post or e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Do you know if the canister air filter that will be available for the Kawasaki's will mount to current engine. Basically what I am wondering is if I go with the 25HP Kawasaki and want to upgrade to the canister filter when it comes out will I be able to do so, I am worried that it will only fit the newer engine it will be placed on. I understand that this may be something that you have no way of knowing yet, just though I would see. Thanks

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

chariot:

I'm not sure if you will be able to retrofit the canister air filter to your existing 25-hp Kaw. engine. I would think that it would be foolish for them to make it available on the new engines only, but it's often difficult to anticipate what an engine manufacturer is going to do and how long it will take them to get it done.

The 25-hp Kaw. is a common engine choice, so I would think that Kaw. would make sure that they offer a kit for all of the 25-hp engines. This is probably not a question of "if" it will happen; rather, I would say that the real question is "when" it will happen. Sorry to be so vague, but until we know for sure, I don't want to mislead you.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I gave $7695.00 (plus tax) for my 23 Kohler Lazer.

Hasn't ran outta power yet, but you can't have too much power.

I think the 26efi is the way to go if it can be afforded. ;)