Pricing help for landscape job please

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jimithing31, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jimithing31

jimithing31 LawnSite Member

One of my customers wants their front yard replaced, 4 hedges replaced that died and the beds remulched.

In total there is about 600 sqft of sod (ST. AUGUSTINE) needs to be layed. I first need to till up the entire area as its mostly dead.

Pull the 4 dead hedges and replace.

lay approx. 2 yards total of mulch

I estimate the materials to be at $300 my cost.

I am not sure what to price labor at. Any help appreciated

2. jimithing31

Really?? No help here?? Do I need to give more details??

3. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

What's your hourly rate and how long do you expect it to take?

Sounds to me like one guy could do everything in a day, no problem. That being said, I'd be looking at around $300 labor, and a mark-up on materials.

4. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Gee wiz another one of these hourly rate guys.
    600 for the sod repair comes out 1.00 per foot.
    cost of bush and times it by 3.
    mulch is whatever you charge. we charge 2.5 of the cost.
    add in the cost of dumping fee for the sod.
    add in the cost of fuel..

Do it this way and no one will ever know your labor rate. Next thing, every Tom Dick and Blowhead will under cut each others labor rate.

Do you really think you can compete with a labor rate of a poor person living with 10 others under the same roof all sharing the same car?

5. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds about right.

6. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

When I refer to "hourly rate," I'm talking about the amount I charge per hour for each man in order to cover my overhead, payroll, and profit margin I hope for.

No, I don't go to Betty Homeowner's and say I'll install her landscape for $40/hr. I just know, when running the numbers for a bid, how much to charge for labor. I know how much labor will be involved in a task/jon through experience.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

It sounds like it will burn a day up on the job by the time you get all the materials on the jobsite... materials plus whatever you want per day. Usually for a two man crew I would want 700-1000 in gross labor.

8. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Ok its just sounds like you charge by the hour the way you worded it.
    I use formulas for landscaping and mowing.
    Now if a job takes less than half a day I do my formula and then add in a lot extra for drive time and usually schedule 2-3 little jobs all in one day.

9. jimithing31

So these prices would be on top of the material cost if I am understanding it correctly??

And how would you quote this all in the estimate? You would not break down pricing correct? Seems that would make it easy for a customer to shop around.

10. jimithing31

well I just sent her an estimate for $1550. Includes all materials, labor, delivery and waste disposal. Does this sound fair? under/over

I know I am going to spend about $120 just in gas and tolls alone to get the materials there and debris removal.