Pricing HELP: Moving topsoil & Rock

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BscottC, Aug 18, 2011.

1. BscottC

BscottC LawnSite Member

Thoughts on how much to charge a customer who wants 7 yards of topsoil and 1 ton of egg rock layed.

Topsoil- $17.00/yard, Egg rock- $29.00/ton, Delivery- $79.00

The dirt and rock will be wheelbarrowed from the street in front of the house and dumbped/spread in the rear of the house.

Would like to complete job by myself but have help if needed. Need to decide if I shoud rent a dingo or similar for the job. Thanks!

2. BscottC

BscottC LawnSite Member

B.T.W.
    Not sure about hills, obstacles or distance from point A to B with wheelbarrow/dingo. Visiting the property over the wkend to collect final details and measurements. THanks for your input!

3. BscottC

BscottC LawnSite Member

New details..
    Needs a 2-3 tear ret. wall built large enough to house 7 yards of topsoil (tsoil amnt. is customers guestimate,) 10-15 pieces of new sod to replace dead patches, and old rock removed to make way for new rock (western sunrise-1 ton.)

West. Sun Rock- $170/ton
    Sod- Around $.30/ft
    Topsoil- $17/yd
    Delivery- Dirt/Rock $79.00
    Dingo (if needed)- $195/day

Thinking of $35/hr for prep work: level ground for ret. wall, remove old rock.

4. SharperImage

SharperImage LawnSite Member

charge $10,000

5. DIXIECONTRACTING

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

If you are going to do it by yourself maybe a Dingo but I would not take a guesstimate from a customer I would look the job over myself and present a complete estimate with work description and change order clause.

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I would rent a dingo.... it will make your life a lot easier and the job with go by faster!!!

7. Impact-Vector

Impact-Vector LawnSite Member

I did a pretty similar job today and I have a dingo. It took me most of the day since he ground speed on the dingo isn't that high. I didn't manage to finish

I'd probably look for a mini skid or something with a 14cu ft + bucket.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that wheel barrows move faster than dingos, but it takes time to fill a wheelbarrow by hand... Depending on the distance and ease of shovelling I generally take 2 short days moving a 10 yard load of topsoil. that usually involves raking for lawns... filling up a retaining wall with 7 yds could be less than 8 hrs...

Who's building the wall and how high/long is it? What is "egg rock"?