Pricing help needed ASAP!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RickR1818, Aug 19, 2007.

1. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys,

Here is the deal. This is my first season and I have a commercial account that I maintain that is relatively small in size. There is a large warehouse next door that I am bidding on. The guy in charge wants me to bid this job along with his neighborhood common areas ( He is homeowner assoc pres.) and his house which is approx an acre. He states that he may also be able to get me 6 or 7 residents from his neighborhood which are all an acre.
    First of all I need some advice on the warehouse. Here are the details:
    -76,000 sq ft of Turf
    -3,122 sq ft of mulch beds that he wants weeded on as needed basis
    -38 bushes that need to be trimmed as needed
    - approx 2257 linear ft of areas that need trimmed/ edged (includes retention pond that needs edged where mower cant reach.)
    It took me 25 minutes to walk the outer realm of property with a measuring wheel at a walking pace.

The common areas total just under 4 acres that require trimming of a fence line and around one island in entry way.
    All the houses are at least one acre and would need mowed, trimmed, and edged.
    I know everyone will say to estimate time but it is only me and one other person and the crew he has now consists of 5 guys. Do you think that he is priced for 5 man hours and at what price would you guess?

I am thinking of the following estimates:
    $330 for the warehouse
    $300 for the common areas of neighborhood
    $65 per residential yard.

Please let me know your input on these estimates.

Thanks in advance,

2. Tuttle Landscaping

Tuttle Landscaping LawnSite Member

I am not sure how to price your account because every geographical area is different in pricing. But you need to figure out what your hourly rate is for man and equipment and times that by the amount of time it takes. Also remember, the guy is going to try and get you some additional work. So if you cut him a slight break it may be rewarding with the additional work but dont go so low where you dont make money and you have to cut quality just to make a profit
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I suggest keeping the estimates separate. give him 1 for the warehouse then one for his home. With me the footage is unimportant it is the labor involved and covering expenses. also what I would charge him for mowing would be the same even if he got me the entire condo complex if I had a dime for every time someone told me I might be able to....................
  4. Tuttle Landscaping

Tuttle Landscaping LawnSite Member

i agree if eshskis. but what i recommend is to offer to the gentlemen is if you get signed contracts from the other properties you will reward him with a discount or something. This has always helped me. Sorry i wasnt clearer in my previous post. But as eshskis state this way if he doesnt get you any work you are making money. I have heard the same as eshskis where people promised to have other work and it turns out to be nothing.