Pricing Help!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by angusman, May 27, 2005.

1. angusman

angusman LawnSite Member

I made the big jump today and bought a 2005 Tiger Cub. By the way I mowed with it four hours today and don't know why I didn't get one sooner. It is a wonderful machine although the roll bar will have to go as I am covered with cedar needles and don't want to do any unexpected pruning. To the question now, I am a full time high school teacher and supplement my income by doing lawn service. I only have four accounts, which I have had for the past 13 years, but am looking to expand now that I have the Scag. My question deals with pricing. I was pricing jobs by the hour when I was using the rider but now with the time savings by using the Scag I wonder if I should use a different method on coming up with quotes. Any suggestions on pricing would be welcome for this POOR teacher! Also, I am from a small rural area with limited number of businesses.

2. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

We use a Cub and they really are nice machines. We love ours. As far as pricing goes I usually look at a yard and get a guesstimate at how long it will take me to mow, trim, blow, and edge. Then I price accordingly. Two people at 1 hour is about 55$ to 65$.

3. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

This is in a small city in Alabama. Price of living is a little less I believe.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

This is my third year in doing this, and as far as mowing, I ma usually pretty good at bidding and pricing.
    When you mow, keep track of how long it takes you to mow from the time you stop the truck to the time your in it again and on your way. Most of my lawns I'm in and out in about 35-40 min. These are 28-30,000 sq/ft properties and average amount of pruning. Generally I get 60/hr (SOLO)or more no matter what the ratio of trimming to mowing is. The only other equipment I have is a Echo GT200(?) curved shaft trimmer and an Echo Hand Leaf Blower. I carry a rake and a broom just in case.
    Just compare lawns that you've already done, to what your pricing. Just watch for things like...
    -How long will it take me to trim this lawn?
    -What's the access to this yard like?
    -What's my next nearest account?
    -Is it wet?
    -What's the health of the grass like?
    -Do they fertilize?
    -Dogs?
    -Kiddy toys?
    Also, start setting a standard minamum amount for even the smallest of lawns. (Mine is 32.00)
    Just a few things to get you thinking.