Pricing Help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Witch, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Lawn Witch

Lawn Witch LawnSite Member

We have just started our lawn care service in Westminster,MD and have done a couple of estimates but have not gotten the jobs. We could use some help. :confused:

2. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Post up some specs on the jobs and we can compare what we would charge for the job. Sounds like youre charging too high for your area

3. Lawn Witch

Went out on a estimate that the lady was not happy with her reg guy and was paying him $57.00 for mow and trim however he raised the price from $40.00. After we checked out some threads we based our price on $1.00 per mintute and we put together package options as follows:

$60.00 mow,trim and blow driveways and sidewalks per week
    $70.00 mow,trim,blow and weed removal (pull and or spray) per week
    $140.00 weed flower beds and edge as needed.

I don't know what is the best way to learn pricing in my area other than calling companys and pretending to be a poss customer, which I think is wrong. I also don't want to under price which would drive the market down.

4. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

The dollar per minute rule a lot say is outdated since that rule has been being used for 10 or so years. I shoot more for 1.50-2.00 a minute depending on what area I am in. I know in my area an average 1/2acre lot is about $30 cut, trimmed and edged. But it all depends on area and customer. I quoted a guy the other night has 3/4 acre lot and just needed the front yard mowed I told him $30 and he was amazed with the price and asked me to come mow the lawn that night at 7:30pm. Though I had another guy the other day with a for sale house that was 1/2acre and told him 35 and he almost hit the roof so I told him if I could put a sign on the front lawn i could do it for 30 and than he was happy as a little kid. Sometimes I aim a little high so I can get talked down or give incentives like putting a sign on the front yard and knocking off money. For instance if I want 30 for a yard ill say 35, sometimes I get it and luck out other times I let them talk me down since I over bid already.

Best advice ask some neighbors what they are paying and judge it from there

5. Lawn Witch

We even called twice to make sure that she received the written estimate and to see if she had any questions to which we never heard back at all. I should have also said that this property was an acre.

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

If you need the work that bad, it wouldn't hurt to ask her, "What would it take to get the job?"