pricing HOA's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by image1, Feb 5, 2004.

1. image1

image1 LawnSite Member

I would like to know thoughts on pricing per door per cut in HOA .It is bermuda and will be cut every week the yards are 1000 sqft there are 70 doors or units or 35 duplexes.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I'm getting away from HOAs for one simple reason: too many interior power struggles / power trips from members.Oh. two: want a champagne job on beer budget.Three: you see where this is going...

I wouldn't do it for any less than $ 15.00 per door/per cut,IF it's flat and minimal trimming / bed trimming areas.

3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

image1 - how high-end is the neighborhood? High? Middle class? Upper middle class?

4. image1

image1 LawnSite Member

CSRA it is middle class all bermuda all treated there are 70000sqft of sod but today i was told they are upset about the scalping it is kind of unlevel in some places. I could do a good job but employees could mess the whole job up if i took my eyes off of them for thirty minutes. The hoa president said some of the older people are very pickey. So im thinking maybe this is not for me. I do alot of apartments and hardly ever have a problem but these are peoples homes. I forgot there are 35 units and 70 doors we only cut the front and the sides the backs are done at homeowners expense or extra.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Impactlandscaping.True words i thought i was the only 1 with HOA.

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I just went through the whole HOA thing. Its not for me.......

impactlandscaping is all over it.

I lost the contract because 2 owners didn't want to pay an extra $10.00 a month for the extra work that they wanted listed in the contract.

It all came back to where they were in the beginning. Sub par service for the cheapest possible price.

All they want to do is set back, smoke there little cigars and watch you work your @ss off for very little pay. Nope.......not for me...I'm not starving.

Hope you can make it a profitable account.......

O-O

Pricing.......figure your operating cost, add the profit you need to make to stay in business and submit that bid. Otherwise, this will be a loser account. Stick to your business structure, more profitable accounts are out there.

7. image1

image1 LawnSite Member

by the way im not the cheapest bidder TRUGREEN is but they are not to happy the mexican foreman cannot speak english when the ho's need to talk with them.so what are yall's prices ineed to know prices by monday thanks.

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you don't have to take the mower off the trailer more than one or two times to do the entire complex I would say $10-$12 per door. If you have to go through gates with a small mower then the price would go up to $13-$15 per door.

If you have load the mower back on the trailer 5-10 times to get to all the properties I would say $15 per.

Either way...I think you are going to experience some frustration from the job. HOA's are PITA's

9. image1

image1 LawnSite Member

trugreens price is 5dollars per door which is 350 per cut they cut it in 4or5 hours they said.You only unload one time you go in a circle houses on outside and inside of circle. truggeen uses 3 men.They also cut a complex next to it with 3 story apts.There are 30 units with alot of open areas and alot of shrubs.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Wow! $5 per door? That's insane. They must be doing the mowing for cost and making a profit on fertilizer and chemicals.

A small guy like me would lose his shirt on a job like that. A good solo operator could probably do the job in 9-10 hours, but at $5 per door it would be a loser.