pricing home owner yards in atlanta ga

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greengrower, Feb 19, 2007.

1. greengrower

greengrower LawnSite Member

In the metro Atlanta area most yards are small.Is there something to go by such as a scale to price yards or by the sq. ft? Also I intend to mow, blow and edge .I will use a walker ghs.
    I am new to this business and I want to stay within the price range.Can you help me on this thanks.

2. ScagBoy09

ScagBoy09 LawnSite Member

I personally eyeball it, I know thats not very helpful but thats me. I charge anything from $25 (about 1/4 acre) to $50. I think measuring the yard just to mow is too time consuming. To get an idea of what to charge, I had some local mowing businesses come out to my place and see how much they would charge to get an idea of the going rate. just my two cents.

3. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget to guage your potential clients. If I see a yard that is worth $40 per cut...and the custmer comes outside with a cuban cigar in his mouth, a monacle, and a Lambo is in the garage...I might try and get $50.:usflag:

4. ScagBoy09

ScagBoy09 LawnSite Member

Yessiree...I have one guy who owns two BMW's and has one hell of a house. I was gonna charge around 20-25 but when he offered me to do it for 40, I never stopeed him...lol

5. Ga.GrassCutter

Ga.GrassCutter LawnSite Member

If i give a price, i don't back down, i'll walk away from it.

6. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I normally charge $45 for a 1/4 worth of turf here in Atlanta. I have a few for $50 but the market will bare anywhere from $35 to $55, depend on the customer.

Find out what you need to make to break even then add in your profit. It shouldn't take more then 30 min by yourself with that mower and some good hand held tools.

Its plenty of money out here for everyone, go get your share.

Good luck.
    Corrie A.:)

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

The price is what the market will bear.

Before you know what to price you need to know how long it takes you to complete a job.

No single rule of thumb method such as measure square footage will be very acurate. A flat rectangle of Tall Fescue is much easier to mow than a hilly Bermudagrass lawn full of obstacles, undulations, and lots of edging with a fence accross it. Don't forget to factor in for sidewalks, mower access, etc.

If you do not have any idea of how long it takes to mow a home lawn by looking at it, that is a good indicator that you need more experience working for someone else first or will just have to learn through trial/error.

The above $45 for 1/4 acre example is certainly true on some lawns. But others of similar overall lot size are obviously far easier to mow and you will not get a lot of the jobs you bid on if you bid that much for a lawn you can be in/out of in 30 min. Price to fill 50 hours a week mowing, and to keep customers long term, not just to cherry pick a few suckers who don't know they can get it done well for less, out of the market. They will eventually catch on and dump you. Time spent sitting idle will kill you. Someone who works 1 day a week can afford to be that picky.

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i know this will piss off all the guys helping you but make a list of landscapers and have a friend's family call around and get estimates to gage where you stand. if it upsets anyone, perhaps you did this once upon a time when you were starting

i also eyeball it and and simply figure how long it will take. i look for obsticles like gated back lawns, pools, grass near mulch, hills and how much trimming it will need, it almost takes us longer to trim than mow. never underestimate trimming

9. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the yard, access to it etc, 40 to 50 would be fair, especially since you are using your Walker GHS, What are you doing with the clippings? leaving on site or are you taking them with you, I HATE clippings and have a Walker, been using a mulching deck last 2 years and may get a 48" side discharge this spring to help contain my cost, I would love a Z but not sure if my budget or accounts will allow it, always next year and maybe by than all new deck issues with be water under the bridge. Good luck

10. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

If you are working in "in-town" Atlanta(Midtown,Highlands, City of Decatur) off street parking becomes a huge challenge. Yes, the yards can be small but you may have to double park, unload and then park a few lots up.......where ever you can get your truck and trailer. I have some accounts where it takes me more time to unload and park than it does to mow and I bill the customer accordingly.Also, don't be fooled by the small front yards. Sometimes the back yards are "shotgun" long with a tiny half functional gate.You also have to pay attention to the street folks always eyeballing your equipment.