Pricing in Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Aug 11, 2001.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Being relatively new to the business, I would like some advice and guidance from operators in Southern Ontario. Specifically, if possible, could you give me some guidelines as to your charges for:
    1. Residential lawns (roughly 2500 to 10 000 sq feet). Do you charge by square foot or time.
    2. Spring Clean Ups
    3. Fall Clean Ups

Thank you
  2. jmartmel

jmartmel LawnSite Member

joed around here, just north of Toronto operators are charging around 35 to 40 per cut for seasonal contracts on those subdivision lots that really dont take that long. Most include spring and fall clean up in that price as there isn't much of a clean up to do on these lots. There is one franchise here that is doing them for 99 per month but you can see the difference between the cheaper priced and the average priced operators. If you want to charge extra for packages like aeration, fert, and cleanups, ect. as add-ons especially on the larger properties I think Its best to bill on 4 seasonal installments on that and keep the mowing seperate. Just doesn't look like as big a hit on the pocket when you try to spread it out over the year on to the monthly charge.
  3. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. Those prices seem a lot higher than the area I am in. What area are you in exactly? What's the size of the average size lot?
  4. jmartmel

jmartmel LawnSite Member

joed most of the new subdivision lots here are about 1600 to 2000(sq.ft)some more some less. That's total size of lawn to be maintained. Thats' north gta area
  5. theo

theo LawnSite Member
    from ontario

can anybody tell me what they know about the gardener franchise based in the toronto area.any input would be great,thanks
  6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

$25 for 1.6 to 2k sq. ft in Toroto, Joed. If you charge more you'll lose density.
  7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

its the average price and the same as well...

$35 is usually min..
  8. Greenstone

Greenstone LawnSite Member

up here in north bay (3hr n of T.O.) the average (4-6k sq ft) goes for about $30 with a fall leaf cleanup varying from $70-300. Aerating about $50. Curious to know if anyone else from northern Ont on here?
  9. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

The Gardner started in Richmond Hill & Thornhill in the 80's.

He started selling franchises probably 8 years ago I believe. Since then that name has developed the worst reputation around here. It's a shame, he had a nice operation but I guess he got tired of it all, I'm sure he made a boat of money though.

I think the biggest problem was no quality control. People would start up a franchise without knowing the business, hire a few high school drop outs and send them out to cut grass. These guys are the worst example of scrubs you could imagine. We're talking no shirts, smoking on the job, no regard for safety. It's sickening sometimes.

But they serve a purpose, only the cheapest people will hire them. It's good for us because they set the example for who not to hire.