Pricing in TN

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by cmcfalls, Jun 15, 2003.

1. cmcfalls

cmcfalls LawnSite Member

I live an hour away from Nashville and an hour and a half from Knoxville can anyone in my general area tell me what the hourly wage per man is around here? My brother in law from NJ seems to think that I am selling my self way to short.

2. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Try to put it in the lawn care part of the site , I dont think many people come on this one because you should have gotten more responses than this. Dude you do need to charge more if you are pricing things out like Michelle explained it to me. Give me a call and we can talk, but I am curious to see what the average per man hr. rate is down there. But definitely put it on the lawn care part or what ever it is called. And stop spending so much money on equipment your going to bury yourself........Just some constructive critisism hope you dont mind. Call if you want....Hope all is well. See ya JR

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

No, you didn't get any replies because the question is a hard one to answer, without knowing what you are talking about. Thirty people have read your question.
    Are you talking mowing, installation, or what? Or are you asking how much to pay your help?
    Of course, to someone in NJ, your prices will seem low. Everything is higher up yonder. What's you mortgage/rent, cmcfalls, and what's your mortgage/rent, jrogers? It's cheaper down here.
    Be a little more specific, maybe someone can help.
    Here's a start.... Do you get the job, every single time you give a price? If so, you're working too cheap.
    Crawdad

4. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Well lets say first off for mowing. Then just a general per man hr rate, like if you came to a landscape job and you said ok first off this going to take 3 men 4 hrs to tear these bushes out or what ever. When I put the job together I would figure 3 men x $30 per man hr.( which down here the avg. labor rate is between $25 and $35 an hr) , for 4 hr and I would come up with a price for that part of the job of $360. I guess I'm talking avg hrly labor rate.

5. cmcfalls

cmcfalls LawnSite Member

Yes that is what I am trying to find out. If I pay someone 9.00 an hour if I just charged the customer 9.00 an hour then I am only just paying my employee. How much do you get an hour per man for mowing or landscaping jobs? Lets say you have a lawn that takes you an hour and a half to do with two people what should you be charging in my area for that lawn? I guess it is about half and half as far as getting bids. Thanks

6. wayne volz

wayne volz LawnSite Member

You may be asking yourself the wrong question!

The "GOING RATE" is not as important as what it cost you per hour to operate based on your individual overhead. What the competition is charging is secondary once this is established. You are trying to succeed in one of the highest failure rate businesses in the United States. You must know your company's actual hourly costs per hour of operation. This is not as hard as you might think.

Are you using some type of costs recovery sysytem for your overhead????

If not, call me and I'll help you!!

Wayne Volz
    Wayne's Lawn Service, Inc.
    Rated Top Ten Nationally by Landscape Mangaement Magazine
    800-845-0499
    :blob4: :blob3: